How important is networking in Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareDD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend told me that if you wanted to practice in CA (for instance), then you had to go to school in CA. Is this 100% true? or 80%?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend told me that if you wanted to practice in CA (for instance), then you had to go to school in CA. Is this 100% true? or 80%?

Not necessarily. You can go to school anywhere and practice in any state. However, the importance of networking (and this applies to ALL professions, not just pharmacy) is helping you get jobs and career opportunities. If you don't know the right people, it may hinder you to where you want to go. It's always good to network with the top/prime in your field of choice.

It used to be true, when CA required a 6-year degree to be licensed and only really CA schools were offering that degree (everyone else had 5-year degrees). But it's been over a decade since this was the case.

If you're worried about networking in CA, you could always try to arrange a rotation in CA from your school in a different state. Alternately, there are some organizations with annual meetings in CA (well, at least one) that you could attend while in school to network.

Members don't see this ad :)
It used to be true, when CA required a 6-year degree to be licensed and only really CA schools were offering that degree (everyone else had 5-year degrees). But it's been over a decade since this was the case.

If you're worried about networking in CA, you could always try to arrange a rotation in CA from your school in a different state. Alternately, there are some organizations with annual meetings in CA (well, at least one) that you could attend while in school to network.

Thanks xtsukiyox and pharmguide,

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, when are we starting to do rotations? Is it in 3rd or 4yr of pharmacy school?

Btw, add me if u still play League of Legends, DoubD ^_^

This is true to an extent. If you want to work at a location where you do your clerkships (rotations) at, it will definitely help.

For instance, you want to work in Houston, TX. Well, having a rotation(s) in Houston will probably increase your chance of getting hired. Going to school in TX will probably give you that opportunity.

BTW, networking does a lot in life... outside of pharmacy too.