How important is school name for MD/PhD?

Started by Doc187
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doc187

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know school name matters little for MD, a lot for PhD, but what about MD/PhD?
 
Greetings,

I have hijacked your thread into the MD/PhD forum.

The answer is, it probably matters a little, but not all that much. There are many at my top-tier program who went to no-name undergrads, including myself!
 
If you mean can you get into a good program coming from a no name school - you usually can if you are good. I came from a no name. I got into my top choice so I was very happy I did not shell out a fortune in undergrad loans to go elsewhere.

If you mean does the name of the institution at which you get your MD/PhD matter - I would advise you to go to the best school that accepts you at which you can be reasonably happy. Money should not be a problem as the better programs are all very well funded.
 
Last edited: