How important is taking statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on here (I believe it was the "99th percentile club" thread) and someone mentioned that it was important to understand all of the basic statistics concepts for the Quant section...

I was initially planning on taking statistics in the summer. However, I'm considering taking a break for the summer and focusing on work exp./volunteering instead. I've ordered Dr. Collins and I plan to study that pretty rigorously throughout the summer as well.

So my question is basically the title of this thread: How important is it to actually take a statistics class? Would it be possible to learn the basic concepts without actually taking a Stat. course?

I've taken Calculus I already btw

Members don't see this ad.

Well, taking statistics would help, but when I took the pcat, I saw only 1-3 questions on it and it was pretty simple (finding means, deviation, etc). I would say it is not as important as knowing your calculus or trig.

However, it all depends on your school. For UofT pharmacy, taking stats is a pre-req so no choice there.

I will echo what MayMay said, for the PCAT, you only need a very basic understanding of statistics. I only got 1 or 2 questions on stats when I took the PCAT.

Thanks for the input. I do plan to take stat eventually. I was basically wondering if I would be safe taking the summer off..if its just 2-3 questions I guess I shouldn't stress too much