How Important is the Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmoosavi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys... I was wondering if any of you guys knew exactly how much weight schools put into the interview. I'm only asking because I was recently offered an interview from GW.

I thought it went pretty well, but it wasn't GREAT either. I remember having trouble answering one questions, and also stuttering quite a bit. I was really nervous!! Like I said though, overall it wasn't TOO bad.

Anyway, I fulfill all the average numbers for the school, and I have a lot of EC's... but I'm kinda afraid that my not-so-great interview will hurt my chances of getting in. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys... I was wondering if any of you guys knew exactly how much weight schools put into the interview. I'm only asking because I was recently offered an interview from GW.

I thought it went pretty well, but it wasn't GREAT either. I remember having trouble answering one questions, and also stuttering quite a bit. I was really nervous!! Like I said though, overall it wasn't TOO bad.

Anyway, I fulfill all the average numbers for the school, and I have a lot of EC's... but I'm kinda afraid that my not-so-great interview will hurt my chances of getting in. Thanks for your help.

Important in my opinion... interviewing is a big part of the app process... but isn't it kind of late to interview? When was this? And how long has it been since you heard back? I would call this late to find out what is going on at least.

On a scale of apple to orange, it's about a banana. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea how much weight a school puts into an interview, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot. Worrying about your performance on a past interview will only stress you out and it's not like you can change anythiing. The point of the interview is to be yourself. If they seem to be pressuring you, it's because they want to see how you react to it. Don't worry too much about it since it's already done. Sometimes you think an interview went terribly and you get in anyway (and vice versa). At this point, there's nothing you can do but hope and wait. Good luck!

Important in my opinion... interviewing is a big part of the app process... but isn't it kind of late to interview? When was this? And how long has it been since you heard back? I would call this late to find out what is going on at least.

I forgot to mention... it's for GW's Early Selection Program. It's a program for Sophomores in college. Pretty much, if you get in they hold a spot for you after you graduate and you don't have to take the MCATs. I

I had my interview on May 7th, they said that they will get back to me by June. I was given a tour of the campus the day of the interview, and it was amazing which only makes me even more nervous since I really hope I didn't screw up my chance to go to my first choice school without taking the MCAT.

On a scale of apple to orange, it's about a banana. Hope that helps.

in other words, if you're wondering whether to worm your way into more interviews or sour away away from them, just relax - everything will be 'K!

I forgot to mention... it's for GW's Early Selection Program. It's a program for Sophomores in college. Pretty much, if you get in they hold a spot for you after you graduate and you don't have to take the MCATs.

While I can't speak for early selection programs, the interview is an integral part of the application process. Nevertheless, if GW felt you were impressive enough to offer an interview for early entrance in the first place, I'm sure you did fine.

Let us know what happens.:luck:

Don't worry about it. It's over now; just chillax, have some fun, and try not to dwell on your performance. There was a thread about this a little while back and we came to the unscientific conclusion that it isn't really possible to evaluate your own interview performance accurately or objectively.