How important is "Top 1/3 of class" rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does doing well third year entail? What factors do your mentors grade you on?

Members don't see this ad.

What does doing well third year entail? What factors do your mentors grade you on?

Do a search, this is covered extensively. Although as long as I'm replying:

1) Personality: how well you get along with your team, how well you tolerate work
2) Work ethic: what time you show up, how well you get tasks done, how reliable you are, what time you leave, how much complaining you do
3) Integrity: do you respect your patients, are you a good person, do you care, are you committed to medicine
4) Knowledge: in my opinion, very generous. If you clearly studied M1/2, know something about the diseases you're seeing, and are doing at least some reading, and learning stuff, paying attention, care about learning, ask some good questions. One thing I think is a HUGE component of the "knowledge" category that is not trivial and that can have a huge impact on your grade is knowledge of your patients. Know everything you can about them. Honestly, everything you can. I mean you shouldn't know their uncle's name, but every test they've had done, their electrolyte trends, labs pending, imaging studies, ins and outs, medications, other conditions, and all the stuff that makes a good history. It looks good on rounds and really is the best display that you're fulfilling #1-3 above.

Other than that, not much. Just be a good person. Work well with the other students, be nice to everyone (patients, nurses, social workers, scrub techs, whatever), show an interest in everything you do, ask questions, try to improve, enjoy yourself.