how is 51% correct on NBME a solid fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre med 2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just took NBME 13 and got a 147 (51% correct), the most disheartening part of it all is my UWorld avg is only at 43% right now so I probably got lucky with the 147 (as horrible of a score as it is to begin with).

Every med school exam I've ever taken has had a pass mark ~ 55-58% so I don't get how 51% is so far from just passing let alone being competitive for residency.

Anybody got ~192 on the NBME 13 care to share what % correct that correlated with? (Or any NBME for that matter)

Am I going to see bigger gains with the same amount of studying? I went from %25 correct on my Kaplan diagnostic (<126) to 51% on this NBME one with a month of dedicated study. Surely every extra question correct from this point on must give me a bigger rise in 3 digit score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
also, everybody else is going to be studying for Step 2 during 3rd year so obviously there is time for outside study, so I can't be doomed yet right? Just behind...