how is it determined where you get interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jui

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there:
I am currently interviewing for med school. I went to Hopkins undergrad, have a 3.7 GPA and a 36 on my MCATs. I am also almost done with my PhD (you know, a few papers, years of life experience, etc.)
So far, I have interviewed at U. Rochester and U. Penn; I have interviews coming up at Sinai, Maryland, and Hopkins.
My question:
Given where I have been awarded interviews; I don't understand why I haven't heard from GW, Tufts, and Jefferson. I am sincerely interested in living in Boston, and I don't understand why I haven't heard from Tufts.
Final question: I applied to Harvard, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I don't get an interview, but just in case, what do you guys think my chances at even getting an interview are?

Thanks
Jui

Members don't see this ad.

Different schools look for different things in their applicants. By what you've written, I assume that because you feel Roch, Penn, Sinai, Maryland, and Hopkins are at or above the level of GW, Tufts, and Jeff, they too should give you interviews too.

It doesn't always work out that way. GW might not want a PhD from Hopkins. Tufts might not have liked your essay. Jeff, perhaps, is questioning that application "blemish."

It almost never works out strictly by the numbers. I agree with you that you have extremely competitive numbers, but the admissions process is SO unpredictable, you'll never know what'll happen next (it's better than a Choose Your Own Adventure book).
smile.gif

I have a friend from college with a 3.98 GPA, 40 MCAT, Mathematics major with every academic award known to man in mathematics. We attended a fairly well-respected school, close perhaps to the level of Hopkins. He was rejected by all the schools he applied to, but interviewed at just one state school.

Life's funny that way sometimes.

Tim of New York City.

One thing you might try is to call those schools that you want to interview at and say that you're trying to schedule other interviews in that part of the country and ask if they have any idea where in the system your appl. is.

Otherwise, Tim is right. Just because you have a highly competitive application doesn't mean that every school wants you. It's a tough lesson but that's the way it goes.

Hoozle (California)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is calling med schools bcs. you will be in that part of the country acceptable? What's the backfire potential?

It's very common to call the schools and let them know you'll be in a specific part of the country and would like to interview at that time if possible. I have a friend who got into Tufts that way. (Although she is now attending Baylor.)