How is it standardized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but..

if the DAT is offered almost every day of the year, how do they standardize your scores? Are you compared with all the other students who took the test on that particular day..or what? :confused: Thanks for clearing up my confusion

Members don't see this ad.

I am not 100% sure,but this is what I have found out from barrons and official DAT application.
For example say on PAT section you got 26 right,now this is you rraw score.Then U go to scoring table provided by the guide or in the application,and U match your raw score with standered scoer.

Gurl21 said:
This may be a dumb question but..

if the DAT is offered almost every day of the year, how do they standardize your scores? Are you compared with all the other students who took the test on that particular day..or what? :confused: Thanks for clearing up my confusion

This has been covered several times - if you run a search you will come up with several threads. Basically, the DAT utlizes a question bank and questions are rotated on approximately three week cycles. Applicants are ranked against the other test takers within the same time frame using the same test questions (this is the percentile score, e.g. "70%"). Scoring of the DAT follows a particular point system in which certain questions in particular sections are weighted differently. A score of 20 does not mean you missed 10 questions - chances are you missed around 5 or 6 depending on the section. Kaplan has a good chart in their book, but they are quick to point out that it merely represents a trend in scores and by no means is a guarantee. The bottom line is study hard and just get the best score you possibly can. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
This has been covered several times - if you run a search you will come up with several threads. Basically, the DAT utlizes a question bank and questions are rotated on approximately three week cycles. Applicants are ranked against the other test takers within the same time frame using the same test questions (this is the percentile score, e.g. "70%"). Scoring of the DAT follows a particular point system in which certain questions in particular sections are weighted differently. A score of 20 does not mean you missed 10 questions - chances are you missed around 5 or 6 depending on the section. Kaplan has a good chart in their book, but they are quick to point out that it merely represents a trend in scores and by no means is a guarantee. The bottom line is study hard and just get the best score you possibly can. :thumbup:

you are so wrong. your stating that if you missed 5-6 on a section of 30 you would get a 20..

ridiculous.

much higher.

then in that case..
how many questions can you miss to get around 20?(aproximately)
and do they actually tell you how many you missed for that certain score?