how is moonlighting in radiology residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dramir001

Reaction score
I was wondering how the moonlighting structure is in radiology residencies. the opportunities, how does the compensation work? does it have to be only in-house? which PGY levels can do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, you are paid by the hour for an evening when you are present at an imaging center to respond to contrast reactions, obtain informed consent, and field questions from technologists.

Highly variable per program. Some offer a robust selection of contrast coverage and interpretive shifts that can be scheduled flexibly and paid by the hour starting at R1. Others offer scant contrast coverage at far flung outpatient centers, sometimes restricted to upper level residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly variable. senior residents and fellows at my program are allowed to do 2 weeks of locums a year during weekdays and any locums gig on weekends.

I never did moonlighting in residency even though we had 2 opportunities (babysitting an outpt scanner for contrast and doing overnight prelims for a children's hospital). I didn't think it was worth it. Your off time is valuable - go on a date, relax, read a book for enjoyment, go to the beach, etc. In the end, those will prove much more valuable than the measly pay you'll get. Moonlighting in fellowship and as an attending is much more lucrative, obviously. Doing a single shift as an attending would be worth weeks of moonlighting as a resident.

Reactions: 3 users
It's also going to depend on the state you're in.

I have a program I've interviewed with in a state where you can apply for a full physician license after completing your intern year. The rads residents there are talking about moonlighting reading studies for a private practice group at $200+/hr, i.e. full attending physician pay, once they pass the CORE.

So your income is going to vary drastically if you're moonlighting with or without a full physician license during residency.

What state, if you don't mind sharing?
I don't mind. SC is a state that does this - I am sure there are others, but I have not looked them up.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking at the list of states where one can get a license after intern year, but beyond that I'd probably have to speak to residents to see what other programs have this setup.

Seems like an underrated factor in choosing a residency, depending on one's career goals. And an option to financially blunt the longer training path for Rads.
Not sure if MI allows you do that, but residents at Beaumont and Henry Ford are known to make x2 or even sometimes x3 dt ample internal moonlighting opportunities

I’m surprised there are still residencies that allow you do to diagnostic moonlighting since residents aren’t board certified after the Core exam.

I’m surprised there are still residencies that allow you do to diagnostic moonlighting since residents aren’t board certified after the Core exam.
Neither are pretty much all first year attendings. And depending on the institution they’ve found that R3/4 reads are better than the overnight tele reads done by someone who was trained God knows where.

My program turned a blind eye to external moonlighting, both contrast coverage or actual dictation work. As long as you were a resident in good standing they signed off on whatever moonlighting paperwork you gave them. By now there's got to be precedent that whatever work a resident does on their independent license bears no liability on the their residency program. Otherwise, the external moonlighting game would never work.