You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
how is moonlighting in radiology residency?
Started by Dramir001
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Generally, you are paid by the hour for an evening when you are present at an imaging center to respond to contrast reactions, obtain informed consent, and field questions from technologists.
Highly variable per program. Some offer a robust selection of contrast coverage and interpretive shifts that can be scheduled flexibly and paid by the hour starting at R1. Others offer scant contrast coverage at far flung outpatient centers, sometimes restricted to upper level residents.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Highly variable. senior residents and fellows at my program are allowed to do 2 weeks of locums a year during weekdays and any locums gig on weekends.
I never did moonlighting in residency even though we had 2 opportunities (babysitting an outpt scanner for contrast and doing overnight prelims for a children's hospital). I didn't think it was worth it. Your off time is valuable - go on a date, relax, read a book for enjoyment, go to the beach, etc. In the end, those will prove much more valuable than the measly pay you'll get. Moonlighting in fellowship and as an attending is much more lucrative, obviously. Doing a single shift as an attending would be worth weeks of moonlighting as a resident.
It's also going to depend on the state you're in.
I have a program I've interviewed with in a state where you can apply for a full physician license after completing your intern year. The rads residents there are talking about moonlighting reading studies for a private practice group at $200+/hr, i.e. full attending physician pay, once they pass the CORE.
So your income is going to vary drastically if you're moonlighting with or without a full physician license during residency.
I have a program I've interviewed with in a state where you can apply for a full physician license after completing your intern year. The rads residents there are talking about moonlighting reading studies for a private practice group at $200+/hr, i.e. full attending physician pay, once they pass the CORE.
So your income is going to vary drastically if you're moonlighting with or without a full physician license during residency.
I don't mind. SC is a state that does this - I am sure there are others, but I have not looked them up.What state, if you don't mind sharing?
There are others but Memphis, Tennessee has a setup like this.What state, if you don't mind sharing?
Not sure if MI allows you do that, but residents at Beaumont and Henry Ford are known to make x2 or even sometimes x3 dt ample internal moonlighting opportunitiesThanks for the tip! I'm looking at the list of states where one can get a license after intern year, but beyond that I'd probably have to speak to residents to see what other programs have this setup.
Seems like an underrated factor in choosing a residency, depending on one's career goals. And an option to financially blunt the longer training path for Rads.
Neither are pretty much all first year attendings. And depending on the institution they’ve found that R3/4 reads are better than the overnight tele reads done by someone who was trained God knows where.I’m surprised there are still residencies that allow you do to diagnostic moonlighting since residents aren’t board certified after the Core exam.
I’m surprised there are still residencies that allow you do to diagnostic moonlighting since residents aren’t board certified after the Core exam.
My program turned a blind eye to external moonlighting, both contrast coverage or actual dictation work. As long as you were a resident in good standing they signed off on whatever moonlighting paperwork you gave them. By now there's got to be precedent that whatever work a resident does on their independent license bears no liability on the their residency program. Otherwise, the external moonlighting game would never work.
Neither are pretty much all first year attendings.
Good point!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K