How is my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghg777

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm finalizing my school list for the upcoming cycle. What do you guys think about the list based on my app? Any more additions or schools I need to remove? Thanks in advance, btw!

517, 3.8 cumulative gpa, 3.7 science gpa, URM- African American, NC Resident

Clinical Volunteering: 100 hours... all of these are from a nursing home

Non Clinical Volunteering: 700 hours... very cool stuff here

Shadowing: 160 hours .. various specialties, some from outside the country

Leadership: 300 hours ... diff clubs at my undergrad

Research: 3000+ hours .... 2 diff labs, but no posters/abstracts/papers :(

Other Work: 1000 hours ... call center, office work.. etc

Internship: 400 hours... It was one of the medical schools I'm applying to. It dealt with improving patient care experience. Not research or clinical, more administrative work.

Teaching: TA for a cell biology lab ( 0.5 yr), TA for a computer science class(1.5 yrs)....

---------------------------------------------------

My School List: I am not sure about the bolded schools, but my goal will be to apply to 35 schools.

1. Harvard
  2. UChicago
  3. Columbia
  4. Cornell
  5. Duke
  6. JHU
  7. Stanford
  8. Yale
  9. GWU
  10. Georgetown University
  11. Dartmouth
  12. Brown
  13. Tufts
  14. Emory
  15. UNC - Chapel Hill
  16. Boston University
  17. Wake Forest
  18. UMass
  19. East Carolina
  20. Ohio State
  21. New York Medical College
  22. Eastern Virginia
  23. UVA
  24. University of North Dakota
  25. University of Maryland
  26. University of South Carolina
  27. Rochester
  28. WVU
  29. Creighton
  30. Rosalind Franklin
  31. Drexel
  32. Quinnipiac
  33. Howard
  34. Meharry
  35. Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

You have a strong app! I question applying to NYMC and Drexel. You are likely to be yield protected. Not too sure about the others, hopefully those wiser than me chime in. 35 secondaries have a strong potential of burning you out. Since you have a strong app I think you will fare just fine with 25, max.

I only question your clinical volunteering. It is on the low side, and I am not sure if nursing home is considered clinical...?
If you have an interesting narrative to craft with your “interesting” nonclinical volunteering + the rest of your app, you’re in an even better place to apply.
Hope you have a successful cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive many interviews from your list. You do not need to apply to 35 schools. You could remove state public schools such as North Dakota, Maryland and UMass.

You should be good with the list, but focus more on schools near home or your support system. I hope you have made connections comparing the involvement and feedback of current students involved in AMSA and SNMA to give you a better idea of which schools would truly be supportive of you.