How is my Verbal Strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, a couple things.

First of all I have EK 101, but I am only a sophomore and want to leave the EK for practice later. However, I do want some verbal practice material to do in the meantime. I am trying to do a passage a day at this point until I start formally studying. I have done all of the verbal passages in Kaplan's MCAT Premier. So, what is good practice material? I have seen conflicting opinions on this matter with anything that isn't EK.

Second. For my verbal strategy I tend not to get caught up the frilly Kaplan strategy and go for a more straightforward EK-esque strategy focusing on main point and tone. I also tend to just go through the passages one by one as quickly and thoroughly as possible, limiting each passage to about 8 minutes. This seems to work well and I don't really worry about the number of questions in each passage, I just drive on. This seems to work for me and I am wondering if it seems like a valid strategy.

If it matters at all, I have taken a few Kaplan verbal sections timed and have scored 10s on them and have taken one EK verbal and scored an 8. This is without any real practice beforehand, so I feel like I can do even better with some more practice. Who knows, maybe I'm just naive.

Members don't see this ad.

Consider taking a course that has a heavy reading load and that will teach you to interpret and analyze arguments. You can also try reading passages from other standardized test such as the GRE and the LSAT.