How is the GPA calculated?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ApplicantPharmD, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ApplicantPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Could any of u guys explain me the GPA calculation system by pharmcas? My pre-req GPA is much higher than my Undergrad GPA...i am worried how the pharmcas is goin to calculate my GPA...do they caculate 2 seperate GPA's one for the pre-req and one for cummulative? and also i have taken lots of electives..which ones will be calculated..do they consider counting the ones i got good grades in??

Thanks..:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bsps_2007

bsps_2007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    science, non-science, math, and cumulative are the 4 GPA's that pharmcas will calculate. pharmcas uses every grade you've received when calculating, so if you took calculus I four times, all 4 grades will be included in the math GPA, etc.

4. ApplicantPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    so all the classes will be considered even if they r not the pre-reqs for tht school???? WOW..thts insane..:confused: i have taken lots of uper division science classes...that is going to bring my GPA way down..:scared: are there any schools tht just looks at ur pre-req gpa??????

5. PossiblyCrazy

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

I think all schools look at your overall GPA; however, the schools that do not use PharmCas will calculate a pre-req GPA based on their pre-reqs and their rules of calculation. Other than that you have to deal with the pharmcas calculations. For instance, I know that MCPHS will weigh in the difficulty of a previous degree, the amount of times you take each class, besides all the other fun variables that go with the application.

6. ApplicantPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    does the science GPA includes the math GPA also? or math gpa is seperate?

7. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    math is separate. the first response is what pharmcas includes.

8. ApplicantPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Do you think i still have a chance to get into the pharmacy school with science gpa of 3.06 and non-science gpa of 3.43? and also should i repeat the classes i got a C in or take new science classes to improve my science gpa?

9. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

i hope you do. either way your sceince gpa is better than mine at 2.85 for a number of reasons. my cummulative is your science gpa.
    i think as long as your recent gpas have been high then it shouldn't be a problem. i don't think you should worry if you made the gpa cutoff for the school. you said you have a high prereq so apply to schools that look at that. do a search here on SDN.

10. ApplicantPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    have u been accepted to any school this yr? if yes, which one? do u know of any schools tht look at only pre-req gpa? my pre-req gpa is 3.56...

11. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    nope have not been accepted. i am working on my Biology BS. Do you have your degree yet? if you do thats a definite plus since your other GPA is so-so. What is your PCAT?

12. ApplicantPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i do have a BS degree in Biotechnology...havent taken PCAT yet..will take it in June...im scared...:scared: have u taken ur PCAT yet? where r u planning to apply?