how is the schedule in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bareitashvilli

Pharmacy Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always try to find this but always find very vague answers. Is there any part of the schedule you can customize?

I do know that you have to take certain amount of credits each semester. Thanks I just think I should know this to be ready mentally.

Members don't see this ad.

I always try to find this but always find very vague answers. Is there any part of the schedule you can customize?

I do know that you have to take certain amount of credits each semester. Thanks I just think I should know this to be ready mentally.

Be ready to follow a course schedule that you have very little/no ability to customize.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the school, but there usually is a prescribed curriculum that everyone in your class has to attend for lectures at the same time (there is some latitude for laboratory section timing). Unless you have deficiencies, it's unlikely that you'd have more than 5 hours of electives (and usually not more than 3) that are within restricted liberty to take.

On the other hand, you won't be phased out of class due to overenrollment for any required class. ACPE takes a real dim view to that sort of behavior from a school if you were not a fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my course schedule for the fall of my P1 year and I had no choice in it at all. Everyone does the same thing. MW classes from 8AM to 4PM with a break in the middle. TTh classes from 9AM to 5PM. Fridays exam day starting at 9AM with one class in the afternoon til 2. Taking Biochem, Patho, Self Care, Rural Health, Skills Lab, and Pharmaceutics. Total of 19 credit hours. Hope that helps!

At my school there were three elective courses built into the hours requirement. These were typically only offered to P2 or P3 students. There was actually a decent variety to choose from, including some courses approved from other departments (medical, dental, public health).

Other than that you took exactly the same courses as everyone else with no exceptions. It didn't matter if you were a PhD biochemist, you took Biochem your P1 year with everyone else (real example from a couple years below me).

Just got my course schedule for the fall of my P1 year and I had no choice in it at all. Everyone does the same thing. MW classes from 8AM to 4PM with a break in the middle. TTh classes from 9AM to 5PM. Fridays exam day starting at 9AM with one class in the afternoon til 2. Taking Biochem, Patho, Self Care, Rural Health, Skills Lab, and Pharmaceutics. Total of 19 credit hours. Hope that helps!
That's an amazing schedule

Thanks for the responses guys! They are pretty interesting keep Them coming

Starting in August, I'll be attending a weekend pharmd program. Class meets on Saturdays and Sundays from 8am to 6pm, pretty much year round with only ~10 weekends off (holidays, etc.). You only take one class at a time, and each weekend is worth one credit hour. I think I will like this a lot better than a traditional program, juggling 5 courses over an entire semester. Monday through Friday you are completely off, to work, study, whatever.

Duquesne weekend program?

Thanks for the responses guys! They are pretty interesting keep Them coming
If you've been admitted to a school or are interested in a particular one, you can probably find the schedule/curriculum online. Most schools register for you all the way through except for your elective if you have one.