How is this for EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't even begun any EC yet but in the end I am AIMING for something like this.

6 months volunteer
6 months research

How would that be? When I apply, my science GPA will probably be around 3.65 (same for cumalitive), also I'm an international student

Now that I think about it, this isn't looking too good :scared:.
 
Your GPA is above average, so that'll dictate your application more than a wealth of ecs. Get what you can without compromising your studies. Also, it's better to have a longer-term commitment to an ec instead of a short spell that comes off as a token experience.
 
I haven't even begun any EC yet but in the end I am AIMING for something like this.

6 months volunteer
6 months research

How would that be? When I apply, my science GPA will probably be around 3.65 (same for cumalitive), also I'm an international student

Now that I think about it, this isn't looking too good :scared:.

i dont get this? your academics are good. 6 months of volunteering sounds reasonable. how many hours per week do you plan on doing? and research? a lot of times, you can't just go into research for 6 months and leave...unless you are there to wash dishes....like second poster said, try to focus more on long term. other than that~ seems reasonable! gl
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i dont get this? your academics are good. 6 months of volunteering sounds reasonable. how many hours per week do you plan on doing? and research? a lot of times, you can't just go into research for 6 months and leave...unless you are there to wash dishes....like second poster said, try to focus more on long term. other than that~ seems reasonable! gl

Well for Wayne State, the average GPA of accepted students is 3.7, plus being an international means that I should probably have a 3.8 to truly be competitive

I know someone who had a 3.5 with around a year of tech experience and they got wait listed, plus by the time I actually apply (2-3 yrs from now), the competition will be even more intense so every advantage helps.

I don't know how volunteer or research works but you're saying I should basically focus on quality over quantity? I'm going to try and do both and see what I like better, I imagine a research position would be much harder to obtain and will probably become more accessible after I take upper division classes.
 
I would look into research experience now. I found that there are some professors that will allow you to do research if you seem extremely interested in helping and learning. It worked for me.