How is this???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casper22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN...you all the best...thank you for all the help and encouragement...

I retook my DAT again here is the outcome..

Bio 16...:diebanana::beat:
GC 20
OChem 23
PAT 19
RC 17
QR 21
TS 19
AA 19

What do you guys think...will Bio really hurt me...

This is how I did last time,

Bio 18
GC 19
OChem 16
PAT 16
RC 19
QR 18
TS 18
AA 18

I will post more break down later...

GPA and SGPA 3.5

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

GC 20
OChem 23
PAT 19
RC 17
QR 21
TS 19
AA 19

Bio 18
GC 19
OChem 16
PAT 16
RC 19
QR 18
TS 18
AA 18

whats your gpa like?

GC 20
OChem 23
PAT 19
RC 17
QR 21
TS 19
AA 19

Bio 18
GC 19
OChem 16
PAT 16
RC 19
QR 18
TS 18
AA 18

I think bio is gonna hurt but you should still apply 19 AA isn't too bad

Members don't see this ad :)
inshAllah you got this casper, you put in alot of effort and inshAllah Allah(SWT) will reward you. congrats on the rest of your scores! make duaa for the rest of us :)

Great overall score. That bio is tricky...most require a minimum of 17 for every section. Who knows? It is up to you whether you keep the scores. But anyway good job!

what did u do to study for bio? was it really hard? how was it compared to topscore (if you used it)?

i'm taking my exam in a couple days.

nice orgo score though, thats impressive. best of luck

GC 20
OChem 23
PAT 19
RC 17
QR 21
TS 19
AA 19

GPA and SGPA 3.5

These are arguably the 2 most important sections on the DAT, I suggest a retake.

Thank you guys for the response...

I really dont have any energy to retake this beast...I do agree 16 in Bio is less but then if you look at the score conversions I missed 2 questions to get a 17..which as everyone says might be the cutoff at most schools..but wont everything else compensate for those 2 questions..how can I increase my chances without having to retake..any thoughts/advise??

Here is a little breakdown which might help you all..

Bio: Material used: AP Cliffs, AP Barrons, Datqvault and Destroyer - 1x and Topscore

Though I am not the best person to recommend anything for this but couple of things I noticed....Datqvault and Destroyer are too detailed oriented for the actual test..the actual test was not as detailed or random as everyone makes it sound...I dont have a Bio background as most on SDN do..and I think thats what hurt me...On the actual tests, there were questions that you know right away and questions where you have to think a little, and even in those question, you can eliminate two answer choices and a good Bio background will help you select the correct answer of the the remaining two choices..this is where I selected more wrong answers...The most important thing: DO NOT REVIEW BIO IF YOU TIME REMAINING IN THE END...I told this to myself gazillion times before and during the test but some effing thing took over me and I reviewed Bio and ended up changing couple of answers..I dont know if they got me from 14 to 16 or from 18 to 16...but it did mess me up and I would have rather been better off reviewing GCHEM and OCHEM..
Comparing this to TopScore, I think TopScore was a little more straight forward than the actual...like I mentioned earlier, the actual had 2 answers choices that seemed right...Oh I almost forgot, I had 3-4 Taxanomy questions and I hated that ch from day 1..

GCHEM: Material Used: KBB, Chad Notes I made last time and quizzes, Destroyer - 2.5x and Topscore

This section was quite straightforward with couple of really really basic questions which we dont tend to study but you can determine the correct answer by applying the concepts you know..for example, I had something on the grounds as to what happens when solid is heated or is wet.....hopefully you all get the idea.. Everything else was basically covered in Destroyer and Chad and Topscore was on par and a good representative for this..infact Topscore had few difficult questions than the actual test...

OChem: Material Used: OCHEM as 2nd Language - Book 1 and 2, Chad Notes, again made last time and his quizzes Destroyer - 2.5x and Topscore

As I didnt do well in this last time, I spend quite a bit of time learning the mechanisms..and no better way than reading OCHEM as 2nd Language..and friend gave this to me and I am so thankful for that...I read the entire book over a span of like 2.5 weeks, read chad notes multiple times and did his quizzes everytime I read his notes...As everyone says, CHAD and Destroyer are enough if you learned OCHEM in your classes..
The actual test was very straightforward with 3-4 mechanisms, 2 Lab techniques, 2 Spectroscopy and rest all basic questions...my guess is I got the spectroscopy and the 1 lab technique wrong..these questions were not like you are given a specturm and identify the product..I personally had never seen those questions before..so I am sure its not in destroyer and as I did not see CHAD new videos I dont know if he covers them either...one of the question was like there were 2 same products and you have to decide which spectroscopy will you use to get 1 from the other..I literary laughed at the question....
Topscore was the perfect representative of this...

PAT: I did all 10 CDP's, 2 Random tests from CDP and Big THANK YOU for condog, his videos were amazing..I was averaging between 19-21 on CDP's for some reason I was never able to go below 19 and above 21...but from my last attempt I am quite content with 19 here...
Keyhole: Was similar to CDP...nothing weird..
TFE: I hate to say this, but it was little difficult than CDP, I was averaging 12-14 on CDP and on the actual test, either I was tried and exhausted but I had to spend good amount of time on each question to actually make out the difference...
Angles: I would say much easier than CDP..I was ranging from 6-10 on CDP but on the actual, it was really easy to identify the difference...one word of advice, have couple of methods in your artillery and you should be fine...
Hole Punching: Similar to CDP...or probably a notch easier...I was ranging from 13-15 on CDP and I think I got all 15 correct on the actual..I know people have been mentioning that they have seen random planes and stuff in this section but I found it to be straightforward..if you are doing well on CDP you will do well...
Cube Counting: Same as CDP but with lesser number of cubes per figure and I think each of my figure had 3 questions associated with it..so it was worth spending the time making the tally table for each of them...
Pattern Holding: This section has always been a nightmare for me but after watch condog I was getting better at this and ranged from 10-13 on CDP..most of the actual test was similar to CDP except I think 4 question which were annoyingly difficult, I mean their answer choices would have made a tough TFE problem, think about visually folding them and that too from 4 different starting points..
Overall, spend time doing CDP and you should be okay.things I did differently from last time was watch condog's videos and actually spend quality time reviewing CDP's..
Topscore was not a good representative for this one..

RC: Boy oh Boy, they have made RC tough..My passages were on Bone Fracture, Antibiotics, Herbal medicine and forgot the name of the third one...except the herbal one, both the other passages had tons of interface questions and that is still okay Bone passage, had interface questions which were all over the passage, for example something in mentioned in the 1st paragraph and the stuff that is asked in the question related to that is mentioned somewhere else in the passage..this beast took me like 25 mins and still I was not happy...antibiotics had interface question but were manageable..and the Herbal was search and destroy..I was able to knock if off in 10 mins..
Word of advice, along with search and destroy have another method ready for interface/tone questions..and stick to that method..
Topscore was not good representative..though I did not practice this anymore than that...I wanted to get Achiever but was short on time..

QR: KBB, DAT destroyer and MATH Destroyer...

MATH Destroyer is enough for this...lucky this time around my test was not as funny as last time when I had to literary guess on like 12 questions...this time I was short on time again but for 3 questions and I think they were easy to make an educated guess or solve entirely on the calculator...Yes, I did use the calculator and if you plan on using it..do all your MATH destroyer with the calculator, or if you dont plan on using dont use it...DO NOT DO SOMETHING NEW on the test....
I had quite a few word problems and of those few were really crazy...I very well remember, there was on probability word problem which seemed like would take 5-8 mins to solve..I simply guessed on it..there are easy straight forward questions too so make sure you see the entire test before spending time on one particular problem..my game plan was I was planning to finish the entire test in 35 mins and then spend time on big word problem but then around the 20th question, I had like 25 mins remaining on the clock so I took my time...and ended up being 2 mins short on the last 3 questions..but one thing I have noticed, last 3 questions are most likely easy problems so you should either solve them in my mind or on calculator or make a good educated guess..

Overall, I would say, keep doing what everyone on SDN says and you should be fine...if you not good at some subject spend time on it...the actual test is not as tough as all the study material we use..

Good Luck all..

Hope this helps..

with bio you just had to go with your gut even without a bio background.

I ended up with 17 last year for changing answers. this year i refused to change even when ultimately 1 question which I felt the other was the more correct choice. its a weird urge I get too with free time.

the score conversion is not the same for every test version and like percentiles I do not believe the schools get to see it.

Members don't see this ad :)

GC 20
OChem 23
PAT 19
RC 17
QR 21
TS 19
AA 19

Bio 18
GC 19
OChem 16
PAT 16
RC 19
QR 18
TS 18
AA 18

GPA and SGPA 3.5

hmm... Have you taken any/many upper level biology courses? If so, which and what did you earn?

I was gonna make a case and suggest the 16 in Bio is a fluke, but the first 18 doesn't inspire much confidence.

Have you applied yet? and if so, to how many schools?

From the sound of it, you seem frustrated with the studying (I don't blame you), so EVEN if you decide on a retake, its not gonna happen for another 6-8 months anyways. I don't suggest you dive right back into studying, you need some time off to reflect.

The worst thing that can happen is: you applied already this year and you won't get in

The best thing that can happen is: you retake the next before June 2012 (I dunno, sometime in May for example) and hope for a better performance. Actually you are at an advantage, you don't need to blow the test out of the waters, you just need to bring the 16s and 17s to 19-20-ish range.

hmm... Have you taken any/many upper level biology courses? If so, which and what did you earn?

I was gonna make a case and suggest the 16 in Bio is a fluke, but the first 18 doesn't inspire much confidence.

Have you applied yet? and if so, to how many schools?

From the sound of it, you seem frustrated with the studying (I don't blame you), so EVEN if you decide on a retake, its not gonna happen for another 6-8 months anyways. I don't suggest you dive right back into studying, you need some time off to reflect.

The worst thing that can happen is: you applied already this year and you won't get in

The best thing that can happen is: you retake the next before June 2012 (I dunno, sometime in May for example) and hope for a better performance. Actually you are at an advantage, you don't need to blow the test out of the waters, you just need to bring the 16s and 17s to 19-20-ish range.

Thanks Man..I was looking forward to your response...

I am yet to apply so how many schools will you recommend me..

Since, I did not take Biology in college, last year, I took 4 Bio courses of which I can say Anatomy and Physiology can be the advanced course, correct? I got a B+ in that...and have A's in other 3 courses...

I know I keep asking this, but what do you think my chances will be if I have my applications in AADSAS by the end of this month..

Thanks Man..I was looking forward to your response...

I am yet to apply so how many schools will you recommend me..

Since, I did not take Biology in college, last year, I took 4 Bio courses of which I can say Anatomy and Physiology can be the advanced course, correct? I got a B+ in that...and have A's in other 3 courses...

I know I keep asking this, but what do you think my chances will be if I have my applications in AADSAS by the end of this month..

people are avoiding this question because its hard to answer lol.
Assuming you apply to 20+ school, you will land interviews for sure (How many? I have no idea... maybe 2-4?). Will any of them turn into acceptances ? I don't know :shrug:

the general consensus is that when you retake, you NEED to perform better (even if by little bit) because that shows resilience and determination. IMO if you don't get in this cycle, it will be because of this.

Here is some good news for you, that new FL osteopathic dental school might accept you considering its still a new school and hasn't built up a reputation yet. IMO, their initial year's class will have lower averages, so you might be competitive there.

people are avoiding this question because its hard to answer lol.
Assuming you apply to 20+ school, you will land interviews for sure (How many? I have no idea... maybe 2-4?). Will any of them turn into acceptances ? I don't know :shrug:

the general consensus is that when you retake, you NEED to perform better (even if by little bit) because that shows resilience and determination. IMO if you don't get in this cycle, it will be because of this.

Here is some good news for you, that new FL osteopathic dental school might accept you considering its still a new school and hasn't built up a reputation yet. IMO, their initial year's class will have lower averages, so you might be competitive there.

Thanks a lot man..I completely understand that its tough for anyone to guess what my chances are of getting interview and or acceptance..I will give it a shot and have all my 20 fingers crossed..

Yo casper were you the one I was talking about the scores for the Math Destroyer? Anyways it good to know you saw a 3 point increase in your math through the usage of math destroyer, thats really awesome. Overall good score man. Congrats on being done.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA like? I can maybe shed some light because I will be a reapplicant as well this year with a post bac year behind me.

Allah = muslim word for God.
We have praying types here on SDN.

HAHAHA
I think the day of the test we all become the praying types.

Yo casper were you the one I was talking about the scores for the Math Destroyer? Anyways it good to know you saw a 3 point increase in your math through the usage of math destroyer, thats really awesome. Overall good score man. Congrats on being done.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA like? I can maybe shed some light because I will be a reapplicant as well this year with a post bac year behind me.

HAHAHA
I think the day of the test we all become the praying types.

Yes man..that was me...

Thanks dude...

My GPA and sGPA is 3.5...

Any though/advise will be helpful

Yes man..that was me...

Thanks dude...

My GPA and sGPA is 3.5...

Any though/advise will be helpful

You'll get in somewhere man, whats your state residence? Look into your state schools. You are looking like an average applicant right now to any school don't worry this is good. Its better than being below average (me). You just have to have extracurriculars, volunteer experience, personal statement should be good, letters of rec should be good. I think overall when you get interviewed 4-5 times just be personable and really down to earth and you will for sure get some calls. Make sure the count for total applied dental schools should be around 20 for you, including NYU and BU all the expensive schools as well because you always want to have backups. And, NYU and BU are not bad schools just expensive. Apply to the new schools. I think there is a couple. Otherwise you are set for a solid application with that GPA.

I heard they are opening some new schools in 2012. Anyone know if any schools are opening this year for out-of-state applicants?

LECOM in FL the new one says that competitive applicants usually have a DAT score of 16 or higher, so you look awesome! apply there!

You'll get in somewhere man, whats your state residence? Look into your state schools. You are looking like an average applicant right now to any school don't worry this is good. Its better than being below average (me). You just have to have extracurriculars, volunteer experience, personal statement should be good, letters of rec should be good. I think overall when you get interviewed 4-5 times just be personable and really down to earth and you will for sure get some calls. Make sure the count for total applied dental schools should be around 20 for you, including NYU and BU all the expensive schools as well because you always want to have backups. And, NYU and BU are not bad schools just expensive. Apply to the new schools. I think there is a couple. Otherwise you are set for a solid application with that GPA.

Thanks man..I am from MO so the only state resident school is UMKC...there is infact SIU much closer than UMKC but MO is considered out of state...

Is that the only new school opening next year?

A friend of mine that just graduated from Uni of MD Dental School told me that some of the faculties or board members are opening a new DS in the Carolinas. I remember her saying its East Carolina Dental School.