How is UAB pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone has any idea of UAB (university of Alabama at Birmingham) pathology? I know UAB Chairman is the editor-in-chief of American Journal of pathology and the department has lots of NIH grants (top 10 in US). There are plenty of fellowships also (derm, neuro, cyto, sugical, renal, forensic, hemato, bb, molecular diagnostics). UAB is viewed as "south campus of WashU" because many attendings and research faculty came from WashU including Chairman. Any other inputs including drawbacks?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there several weeks ago and my opinion of them kicked up several notches. Other than the things that you mentioned, they are also moving into a brand new grossing area next year (because of a series of new ORs being built) and the autopsy suite is amazing--shiny, new, with individual offices for residents rotating through! The program (and the medical center) is very financially stable and there are some great researchers AND diagnosticians there (many from WashU, as you mentioned, including their relatively new chief of neuropath who is very passionate about training). The PD gave me the impression that flexibility is the biggest plus in their training. Want more experience in a particular field? They'll accomodate. Want a lot of $-supported research time? They'll find a way to get it for you. CP is apparently pretty strong there too, with residents commenting that they think that AP and CP are almost equally balanced.

The only major drawback that I can think of involves the overall school location. Having grown up in the South, I have a lot of respect for UAB, but many of my med school classmates wouldn't give it a second thought simply because it's in Alabama, which is a great pity. I think if you picked up the campus and moved it elsewhere, it would be a pretty formidable program. As it is, I've still got them on my radar...

Sorry, just got off a plane so me brain's a bit foggy. Hope this helped! :)