How is uiuc for premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to the u of i as a transfer. I want to finish my major in history and take premed classes. How is the u of i for a premed? Are there a lot of research opportunities? How is the competitiveness level? Any information would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How is the u of i for a premed? Are there a lot of research opportunities? How is the competitiveness level?

I know very little about the school, specifically, but judging by the location and size of the school you should have plenty to keep you busy outside of classes.

I graduated last may from U of I with a degree in Molecular biology and was pre med as well.

I cant say enough about how amazing of a place it is for not only reasearch opportunities but clinical exposure as well. U of I is one of the largest and best funded research institutions in the country and there is plenty of faculty that are willing to have students do work in their lab, and you get graded credit for it as well.

Also, Carle hospital on campus is the main hospital for central illinois so there are multiple shadowing/volunteering opportunities as well. Even as far as extracurricular groups are concerned there are many pre-med groups that will help you get connections,test banks and the like.

If you have more specific questions please let me know, but really is one of the best research institutions, has a medical school on campus and is walking distance to one of the main hospitals in central Illinois.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated last may from U of I with a degree in Molecular biology and was pre med as well.

I cant say enough about how amazing of a place it is for not only reasearch opportunities but clinical exposure as well. U of I is one of the largest and best funded research institutions in the country and there is plenty of faculty that are willing to have students do work in their lab, and you get graded credit for it as well.

Also, Carle hospital on campus is the main hospital for central illinois so there are multiple shadowing/volunteering opportunities as well. Even as far as extracurricular groups are concerned there are many pre-med groups that will help you get connections,test banks and the like.

If you have more specific questions please let me know, but really is one of the best research institutions, has a medical school on campus and is walking distance to one of the main hospitals in central Illinois.

Completely false.

That doesn't mean you can't shadow or volunteer there, though.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I also got into Depaul, and I have heard good things about it's premed program, but it is soooo expensive. I just want to know more about how competitive UIUC is.