How is USMLE scored???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppklives

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all
I was just wondering .. how are the 3 digit scores calculated on usmle, i mean are they number of questions one gets right out of 350 questions, or is there some other means of calculating the same ???
Any enlightenement on this one is welcome!!!!
Cya!

Members don't see this ad.

Furrball said:

I'm just a first year med student, but I heard/read that there are 50 'experimental' questions that do not count. that leaves 300 real questions.

the scores are somehow standardized so a person whoever took it one year is comparable to someone else who got the same score a different year.

there's been theory that one question is approximately 1 point (passing score is about 182, and that's ~55-60% of the question correct) while a perfect score of 300 is unheard of.

My question is, does anyone know the percentile of the three-digit scores? like, what percentage score 250 and above? 230 and above? (i know a score of 240+ is equivalent to 99 two-digit score, but that's not the same as percentile)

Any info would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.usmle.org/FAQs/faqusmlescores.htm
What are the current pass rates for the Steps?
The content-based standard used for setting the passing score means that as many as 100% of candidates could theoretically pass, or conceivably 0%. The number is not arbitrarily predetermined. Similarly, the pass rate can vary from one accredited medical school in the United States to another, and from one year to another. Recent performance data for first-time takers and repeaters for each Step are available

Are these test-writers on crack!? :confused:

Nobody who posts on this board is going to know exactly how the 3-digit scores are calculated. NBME keeps that info close to the vest and doesn't reveal their methodology to practicing physicians let alone medical students. I have heard rumors (repeat, rumors!) that certain questions are weighted differently. But in the end USMLE scoring is one big mystery...

phew!!!!! theres so much mystery about the usmle scores! Guess its gonna remain shrouded for ever!