How is UTHSC-Memphis pathology program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is Pathology residency program at UTHSC-Memphis? I heard that it has some problem in past but now it is solved. I had interview there and now really want to know everything about this program. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I rotated at UTHSC and here are my impressions. The UT Memphis path residency is OK but not one of the top-tier residency programs in the country. The attendings whom I met were largely very nice and treated the residents well. The teaching at the scope was fairly good. The residents all got along and there was a good camaraderie amongst the group.

The pathology department is housed at the 930 Madison Avenue site but residents rotate through multiple sites including the nearby Regional Medical Center (The Med). The grossing day for residents at The Med was relatively light when I was there. The Med is a chronically underfunded institution which, last I heard, was in danger of closure. I'm not sure if this problem has been resolved but it is something that anyone interviewing at UT Memphis should ask about.

Another thing to consider about the UT Memphis program is that the city of Memphis has serious issues with crime. In fact, it has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Having said that, the areas to the east and west of the main hospital are very nice and safe, and this is where most of the residents and attendings whom I met lived. I would particularly recommend the Germantown area, which is gorgeous. Housing in Memphis is also very affordable.

I rotated at UTHSC and here are my impressions. The UT Memphis path residency is OK but not one of the top-tier residency programs in the country. The attendings whom I met were largely very nice and treated the residents well. The teaching at the scope was fairly good. The residents all got along and there was a good camaraderie amongst the group.

The pathology department is housed at the 930 Madison Avenue site but residents rotate through multiple sites including the nearby Regional Medical Center (The Med). The grossing day for residents at The Med was relatively light when I was there. The Med is a chronically underfunded institution which, last I heard, was in danger of closure. I'm not sure if this problem has been resolved but it is something that anyone interviewing at UT Memphis should ask about.

Another thing to consider about the UT Memphis program is that the city of Memphis has serious issues with crime. In fact, it has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Having said that, the areas to the east and west of the main hospital are very nice and safe, and this is where most of the residents and attendings whom I met lived. I would particularly recommend the Germantown area, which is gorgeous. Housing in Memphis is also very affordable.

How are their dermpath and other fellowships?