How is your OAT total score determined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreOptMegs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is every subsection on the OAT weighted evenly to give your total score? Also, if it is and your average turns out to be say 277, does it round up to a 280?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, they don't just average all the subsections. The total score is determined by adding up the total number of correct answers on all sections of your OAT and then placing you into the appropriate percentile band by ranking your total number of correct responses with everyone else.

jefguth said:
Nope, they don't just average all the subsections. The total score is determined by adding up the total number of correct answers on all sections of your OAT and then placing you into the appropriate percentile band by ranking your total number of correct responses with everyone else.

Thanks, that makes more sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's true for the Total Science score, but the Academic Average is the "composite score representing the average of qr, rc, phys, bio, gchem, and ochem standard scores" [abbreviations are mine]. That's probably why the TS score is used for entering class stats; it's a better representation of how candidates preformed v. their peers.

I don't know if they round the AA up, but they definitely rounded mine down :thumbdown:

- polkadot.

polkadot said:
That's true for the Total Science score, but the Academic Average is the "composite score representing the average of qr, rc, phys, bio, gchem, and ochem standard scores" [abbreviations are mine]. That's probably why the TS score is used for entering class stats; it's a better representation of how candidates preformed v. their peers.

I don't know if they round the AA up, but they definitely rounded mine down :thumbdown:

- polkadot.

If your score is say between 355-359 then it is rounded up to 360 but if it is between 351-354 then it is rounded down to 350.