Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How late can I fly to the interview the day before?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay19955, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ejay19955

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I am trying to book my flights for interviews and I just realized that I never booked a hotel in the U.S. before. I am very confused.

The best value flight I've found arrives at 10:40 P.M. the day before the interview, which could make me check in at the hotel around midnight. Sleep is not a huge concern for me as the interview is scheduled to start around 9 A.M.

How receptive are the hotels to late check-in? The hard part is that I am flying for an MD/PhD interview, so they are paying for the hotel and I don't know which hotel I will be staying at.

Is it advised against by any means to fly in this late?

Please advise. I feel like such a noob.

Thanks!!!

2. hoihaie

hoihaie Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    doesn't matter how late you check-in to a hotel

3. trs88

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The hotel won't mind at all. They will have a night clerk that will be working the front desk. But, if you do learn what hotel you'll be staying at, you could always call and let them know that you will be late and they'll make a note in your file.

Personally, I wouldn't book a flight that late because things can go wrong. Like the plane could be delaying, or mechanical issues, or you get lost trying to find the hotel. I like to arrive earlier so I can travel to the school to see where it is, where I need to park, and then to skim the area to see if I would be happy based on just the location alone. Then, when I return to the hotel, I can relax, review my notes about anything that could be asked about during the next day.

4. Temporary Superman

Medical Student
    Pretty sure you can check in whenever. The main problem would be checking in too early. I've gotten to hotels around midnight multiple times.

5. ejay19955

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Thank y'all for your comments!

6. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Check in to the hotel at 4 AM the day of the interview if you want. It doesn't matter what time of the day; that's kind of what their job entails to be open 24/7.

ejay19955 likes this.
  7. Gandyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can check in whatever you want, but it is advisable to get to the hotel as soon as you humanly can.

8. Spector1

Spector1 Orbis non Sufficit
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    at least the night before the interview. Don't get there the morning of.