How late is too late to rotate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three electives my fourth year I want to fill with an away radiology rotation at programs I have the best shots at. The dates I have avail Oct 06, Nov 06 and Jan 07. Obviously I'm a third year applying this fall.

I'll be honest, my grades and LOR's are going to be stellar however my board scores are devistatingly bad (really bad standardized test taker- but I passed both COMLEX and USMLE first try and will be taking step 2 early of both again)...

I desperately want to be seen in person at as many progs as possible in hopes that someone will take that chance on me and not regard my board scores as highly and instead consider a great in-person performance on a rotation (I think my [healthy] passion for the field really shows when I get in a dark room). I figure my medical school took a chance on my with my MCAT scores and I was able to show these people that a strong work ethic prevails...

ANYWAY, if I do a November and October rotation at diff places that I would make it to these places before they saw my application and sent me a rejection e-mail? i.e. would I get in under the wire and be seen on rotation before they look at my scores and send me a rejection?

If NOT, is it common for people to rotate places during the interview season that they got rejection for interviews from and ask for an interview while rotating there and actually get it? Or am I just totally wasting my time?

<sigh>

Members don't see this ad.

1) Aug-NOV(Oct and Nov. more favorable because they will remmember)
2) An elective in december is not that helpful
3) Jan. is just too late

DO and low step 1 = tough road. Maybe rotate at a DO program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've researched and read and talked to many about the DO rads program and they are rumored to be really really terrible. The profession, mostly the AOA is refusing to acknowledge the skeletons in the closet when it comes to failing quality of DO residency programs so I'm boycotting them.

I love radiology and will not ***** myself to any program that will take me. I want a decent program (doesn't have to be university). If I have to do an entire 3 years of medicine to prove to a PD that I want this and I'm capable of it then so be it...

H0mersimps0n said:
I've researched and read and talked to many about the DO rads program and they are rumored to be really really terrible. The profession, mostly the AOA is refusing to acknowledge the skeletons in the closet when it comes to failing quality of DO residency programs so I'm boycotting them.

I love radiology and will not ***** myself to any program that will take me. I want a decent program (doesn't have to be university). If I have to do an entire 3 years of medicine to prove to a PD that I want this and I'm capable of it then so be it...

Sorry, I gotta take exception to this post. If you "researched and talked to many about the DO Rads programs", then why do you say they are "rumored" to be "really, really terrible"? They either are terrible or they are not, rumors be damned and all. Who did you talk to? What kind of research was done? Just asking, not being confrontational..yet.

If you did research then you would know that ALL Michigan radiology programs are affilitated with Michigan State, hardly an entity known for its crappy reputation. All radiology programs travel to E. Lansin once a week for didactics, quizes and guest lectures (many well known lecturers). Also, FORMAL physics review for the PGY 2's. My program also has a dual affilitation with a major allopathic program in the Detroit area (Wayne State, again another program with a solid reputation). No, they are not the MGH's or the UCSD's of the world, but personally that was not what I was looking for.

Yes, some programs aren't as good as others. However, in my travels and interviews last year, I saw many allopathic programs that could not measure up to what my program can offer. There are dogs in the allopathic world just as well.

BTW, what year are you?

Good luck in the match. :luck:

I did an away in dec. I already had an interview set for jan - so I'll letcha know if it paid off ;)

It's never too late: Rotate so you can see their facility in action.

I forget who I talked to or where I read it about the Michigan programs not being so hot. I coupled not hearing good stuff about a bunch of them and the fact that I have no desire to live in Michigan at all and the fact that there are a lot of east coast community programs that are reasonable to rotate at and be considered at that it was just totally bottom of my list. I wouldn't even know how to go about finding out which of the michigan programs where the better one's and can't take any chances on rotating somewhere weak far away from my wife.

Keep me posted sepsis.

Thanks everyone

btw: what Michigan program are you from? what have you heard about the others?

I have to agree with some of the above posts. Allo Radiology programs are too competitive too simply look past low board scores and accept you with open arms because you've done an away elective with their program. On the other hand AOA programs are notorious for accepting average students with great personalities. If you really want to go into radiology I would recommend doing away rotations with at least a mix of AOA and Allo programs or you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. You can try to prove the numbers wrong by doing an elective at a lower tier allo program but even they get stellar applicants. Also, I agree with the comment made previously about some of the AOA programs being on par if not better than some of the lower tier Allo programs so I wouldn't dismiss the AOA programs so quickly.

You have to keep in mind that all applicants no matter what field will have great letters of rec and most applicants for radiology will have great grades from medical school. Programs will filter applicants out solely based on Board scores... That is reality. Hope for great Step 2 scores to land you some interviews. Good Luck