how late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrValentine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a huge mistake in applying late for this app cycle. I have no acceptances yet, and my 7 late interviews have turned into 7 waitlists. Any idea when I should start thinking of reapplying? Everyone keeps talking about June 1, but would the end of June still be ok. I don't want to make the same mistake as last time (secondaries submitted oct, nov, even dec) but I want to wait a little to see what happens with my waitlists... any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

DrValentine said:
I made a huge mistake in applying late for this app cycle. I have no acceptances yet, and my 7 late interviews have turned into 7 waitlists. Any idea when I should start thinking of reapplying? Everyone keeps talking about June 1, but would the end of June still be ok. I don't want to make the same mistake as last time (secondaries submitted oct, nov, even dec) but I want to wait a little to see what happens with my waitlists... any input would be much appreciated!

with 7 wailist-is your rank higher or lower?...If your rank is far away from being accepted then you know you are not going to get in, but if you are preety close then chances are very likely. you have to figure out, what your chances are of being accepted off the wailist.

DrValentine said:

the end of June is still early since your AMCAS isn't downloaded by schools till the first week of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrValentine said:

End of June should be okay. By then, most of the waitlist madness should have cleared out, because they'll be getting ready for the new cycle. However, at one of the schools I interviewed they told me that a few had been pulled off the website the week of orientation in August. Yikes. That would be too stressful. I'd say if you haven't heard back in June you're not going to.

While you are not as likely to be pulled in July/August, every year there are stories of people getting a call the day of orientation. My suggestion to you is to turn in your app in late June, and do the secondaries as soon as they come in. Remember, all the schools know if your accpeted or not so applying again to your waitlist school isnt going to change anything. Right now Im on 2 waitlists and could possibly be on 4 in two weeks. If that happens Im going to wait for the first wave of letters to come out and then start working on the AMCAS, once Im done with it its going out.