How likely to get in to big 3's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

plexwriter5

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to US med schools in 2003 but didn't get in due to my low mcat score (gpa 3.8 and mcat 25). I retook mcat this april but not sure how I did. Assuming that I did about the same on mcat (25), how likely is it that I will get into one of big three Carribean med schools (SGU, Ross, AUC)?
 
plexwriter5 said:
I applied to US med schools in 2003 but didn't get in due to my low mcat score (gpa 3.8 and mcat 25). I retook mcat this april but not sure how I did. Assuming that I did about the same on mcat (25), how likely is it that I will get into one of big three Carribean med schools (SGU, Ross, AUC)?


Are you trying to get in for the Fall 2005 class in the carribean? I am also applying for that term but have been told that admissions is very busy this time of year (with people finding out they are not getting accepted into med school in the US) Im sure people that apply during this time do get acceptance, seeing that their deadline for application submission isnt until June, but I do not know of anyone personally. Have you considered Osteopathic Med school? With your stats and some good clinical experience I think you have a real shot of getting into a DO school.
 
plexwriter5 said:
I applied to US med schools in 2003 but didn't get in due to my low mcat score (gpa 3.8 and mcat 25). I retook mcat this april but not sure how I did. Assuming that I did about the same on mcat (25), how likely is it that I will get into one of big three Carribean med schools (SGU, Ross, AUC)?

The only real way to know is to apply BUT your GPA seems to be good and the MCAT is "competitive" in the Caribbean.

I would wager that you will get in to at least one of three.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would venture to guess you will get in to one of the big 3 if not all three of the big 3. Really if you weren't accepted to at least a Jan class I'd eat several whole pizzas in one sitting. (I'm not gonna **** a brick or eat a hat.)
 
plexwriter5 said:
I applied to US med schools in 2003 but didn't get in due to my low mcat score (gpa 3.8 and mcat 25). I retook mcat this april but not sure how I did. Assuming that I did about the same on mcat (25), how likely is it that I will get into one of big three Carribean med schools (SGU, Ross, AUC)?

I think you will definitely (99%) get into the top three and most likely even SGU. I had a 3.6 and 24 and I got into last years fall class. So apply and hope for the best. good luck.
 
Apply again to U.S. schools this year, both allopathic and osteopathic. Your gpa is excellent, and your mcat score is a few points below the average, but a 25 is still competitive with your gpa. I would suggest that you apply to many u.s. schools, pretty much every school that accepts out of state applicants. It will be very expensive but in the end it will be worth it. I'm not sure what the average mcat score is for those who are accepted, but you must understand that it's only an average score. Each year there are applicants who get admitted with scores close to 40, and those with scores of less than 27. It might also be that the reason you didn't get accepted was because you didn't have good lor's, personal statement, activities outside of school, etc. If you think that the mcat is the only flaw on your application, then definately apply to u.s. schools...You will get in somwhere, you just have to apply to a lot of different places.
 
Yeah, I'd agree with drmikey's post.

Give the U.S. one more shot, including osteopathic.

Good luck.

-Skip
 
plexwriter5 said:
I applied to US med schools in 2003 but didn't get in due to my low mcat score (gpa 3.8 and mcat 25). I retook mcat this april but not sure how I did. Assuming that I did about the same on mcat (25), how likely is it that I will get into one of big three Carribean med schools (SGU, Ross, AUC)?
You will get in to atleast one if not all 3! Good luck