How limiting is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The possibility being there is nice. But i already closed thar door on my own by not having research. I stated it earlier, but I am not really interested in the ultra competitive residencies. Is peds possible? Ya. But getting into a desirable location matters to me. I spent 20 years in a rural location, I’d rather not do that again

Yikes. Well, I'd still advise applying to those sort of places as back up. You can always list them last or not at all. Infinitely better than not Matching. Anything is better than not Matching. So I advise people to do any number of unpalatable things including licking boots and bending over in order to assure a Match and completed residency. What you do after that is entirely up to you. At least at that point you'd have better career options. People consider eating bullets in the wake of not matching, soaping, or finishing residency, and there are reasons for that. Not saying that's the thing to do, but I certainly understand it.... don't let that be you because you didn't want to tough it out in the boondocks for another 3 years of your life. The other possibilities could ruin the rest of your life. Maybe not. Why take that chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes. Well, I'd still advise applying to those sort of places as back up. You can always list them last or not at all. Infinitely better than not Matching. Anything is better than not Matching. So I advise people to do any number of unpalatable things including licking boots and bending over in order to assure a Match and completed residency. What you do after that is entirely up to you. At least at that point you'd have better career options. People consider eating bullets in the wake of not matching, soaping, or finishing residency, and there are reasons for that. Not saying that's the thing to do, but I certainly understand it.... don't let that be you because you didn't want to tough it out in the boondocks for another 3 years of your life. The other possibilities could ruin the rest of your life. Maybe not. Why take that chance?

If it came down to it, sure, I’d have to tough it out back in the sticks. Being married complicates it, though. His job is pretty city-bound. We’ll see though. If i get stuck, I get stuck... but all less than ideal. This effing sucks.

But yeah, a 211 is pretty much guaranteeing me crap programs in crap locations.

But yeah, a 211 is pretty much guaranteeing me crap programs in crap locations.

Not for peds, granted that you do well on rotations/step 2 and get good letters.

I am serious: do your best to forget about step 1 and try to think of M3 as a fresh slate with a bunch of opportunities to do well.

PM me if you wanna talk about peds.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a follow-up. I am well on my way to honoring my clerkship (barring my shelf..gulp, which I must get a certain score on to honor/HP.) and a strong LOR per my preceptor.

I had a long talk with her yesterday. She told me to stop worrying about my score. She told me what I am doing now does matter and that I can overcome it if I work for it. I’ve also really clicked with the PD at this site.

I really thank everyone for the advice and bearing with me over my freak-out/disappointment.

Reactions: 7 users
@ciestar , I’m in a similar boat. Similar score, very similar practice tests that over predicted, very similar interests. All the responses in this thread are amazing and I think speak the truth. PM me if you ever want to talk strategy and good luck on that rotation. This is where we actually shine as student doctors.

Reactions: 1 users
If you wanna do peds, rock Step 2 and do well on clinicals, and apply broadly (multiple cities, not just NYC, for example) and you should be able to get a program in or by a pretty decent sized city.

Guess another update..
Got a High Pass on this rotation. I missed the honors cutoff on the shelf on barely (so I am mega disappointed). But all in all, i got a decent start.

Reactions: 8 users
Guess another update..
Got a High Pass on this rotation. I missed the honors cutoff on the shelf on barely (so I am mega disappointed). But all in all, i got a decent start.

Good work! Just wanted to say I’ve been following your story and I’m rooting for you, keep on keeping on!

Reactions: 1 user