how long are MCAT scores good for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I plan to take the MCAT soon but don't intend to apply right away -- not at least for another year. If I end up applying the year after that (June 2003) for some reason, will my scores this August still be good, or will I have to take the damn thing over?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, I think it's three years. It clearly differs from institution to institution, but remember, there are always students with 33's on the MCAT who reapply a couple of years in a row with no need to re-take the exam. There are other students who get high 20's and only have to apply once. It's a crap shoot, really.

Regardless, I think the answer to your question is three years.

Pretty much every school in texas states that they will take MCAT scores that are up to 5 years old, but MUCH prefer no more than 3 years old. I would venture to suggest t is similar across the country.

Thanks,
Intrepidation

If you look in the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) it says the oldest MCAT scores that each school will accept. I think most of the CA schools are 3 years (I think USC might only be 2 years and UCI and UCD?? 4 years). Some of the other schools accept much older scores though...