1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How long are MCAT scores good for?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by M3dhop3ful, Dec 2, 2008.

1. M3dhop3ful

2+ Year Member

I saw this pop up in the similar threads search, but I took the MCATs in Sept 2007 and if I don't get in this year, I will be applying again after starting a Masters, in September 2010. Is that too late for some US schools and will I have to write again?

besides, even if it isn't too late, is it looked down on to have a score that old?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem
    2+ Year Member

It's usually three years, but some schools accept only up to two years.

4. M3dhop3ful

2+ Year Member

is that 3 years from writing them to matriculating or from writing to applying?

5. Docere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard it was two years from when you first took the test. I'm assuming that it's two years between when you first take the test to when you apply?

6. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It's three years (or two) from the day you take the test, to the day you submit to AMCAS with that school on your list.

7. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem
    2+ Year Member

For some schools the three year period requirement extends all the way to matriculation at that school. I think these are the schools that have the two year limit since the last year is wasted on the matriculation date. I have also heard some schools accepting scores older than three years. It will be safe to call and find out from each school, but if you want to avoid any extra work, just try to make your MCAT current within a year, just in case some schools do have a two year limit ending when you matriculate.

8. M3dhop3ful

2+ Year Member

Thanks for your help guys, but mysay my mcat will about to 'expire', will my score be worth less? ie will my 34 in 2007 be worth less than a 34 in 2010?

9. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    in my experience, 3 years back from the date you plan on matriculating.

I don't think the prior score will be worth "less" if you have a current score that's similar. if you made a 37 in 2002 and a 26 in 2008, it's going to be worth almost nothing.