M3dhop3ful

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status
I saw this pop up in the similar threads search, but I took the MCATs in Sept 2007 and if I don't get in this year, I will be applying again after starting a Masters, in September 2010. Is that too late for some US schools and will I have to write again?

besides, even if it isn't too late, is it looked down on to have a score that old?

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
It's usually three years, but some schools accept only up to two years.

About the Ads

Docere

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I heard it was two years from when you first took the test. I'm assuming that it's two years between when you first take the test to when you apply?

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
It's three years (or two) from the day you take the test, to the day you submit to AMCAS with that school on your list.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
It's three years (or two) from the day you take the test, to the day you submit to AMCAS with that school on your list.
For some schools the three year period requirement extends all the way to matriculation at that school. I think these are the schools that have the two year limit since the last year is wasted on the matriculation date. I have also heard some schools accepting scores older than three years. It will be safe to call and find out from each school, but if you want to avoid any extra work, just try to make your MCAT current within a year, just in case some schools do have a two year limit ending when you matriculate.

M3dhop3ful

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status
Thanks for your help guys, but mysay my mcat will about to 'expire', will my score be worth less? ie will my 34 in 2007 be worth less than a 34 in 2010?

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status
Attending Physician
in my experience, 3 years back from the date you plan on matriculating.

I don't think the prior score will be worth "less" if you have a current score that's similar. if you made a 37 in 2002 and a 26 in 2008, it's going to be worth almost nothing.

About the Ads