How long before you actually VISITED an Optometry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc2tarheels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a list of schools I'd like to visit. I'm still about 2 years away from applying to grad school and didn't know when I should start visiting. When did everyone else visit?
My choices are
PCO
SCO
SUNY
NOVA
The closest one to me is SCO and it's about 8-9 hours away.

Members don't see this ad.

Whenever you're on vacation and you've got nothing big planned, go to one of the schools on your list! It doesn't hurt to start looking early because then you can start making your pros/cons list early and figure out where you really want to apply and where you really don't want to, etc. It also makes for a very good vacation and you get to scope out the area around the school. :)

That's what I was thinking of doing, just waiting til interview day. That way I don't waste time and money to go visit them.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...i did what fonzie did too...surprises are always fun

But what if there were schools that you did not apply to but if you had visited them you would have wanted to apply to them? And what if there were schools that you applied to, but then on interview day you realized you didn't like the school and you feel like you wasted your time applying to it?

Or maybe I am just overthinking it.....:confused:

i have mine narrowed by location anyway.

I had mine narrowed by tuition :D

I didnt visit any until my interviews...didn't think i needed to. I applied to schools based on the type of programing they offer, how established they are, and location. I applied to 5 schools and i started with the intent of only applying to 4, but I applied to nova in october just as a safety school. I really only wanted to go to PCO because I want to go into low vision and they have the best program for that. Anyway I got accepted to NOVA in december, PCO in march and withdrew the other apps.

I never visited until interview day either. But I have heard from several schools that they do remember students who come visit before their interview. Some say that this makes the student look passionate and dedicated to the school, and while I can't say whether this would actually help you in the application process...if it's not too expensive to visit a few schools for you I would say go for it! It will only help you.