How long before you take old exams??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E216

R Millz
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum ( my friend who got into med school suggested the site)...I had a question....Is there an ideal time to begin taking the old MCAT exams? I am taking 2nd one offered in August but I'm not sure when is the best time to start focusing on old exams.

Members don't see this ad.

I know some people who took their exams before and while studying. But it helps me most to finish reviewing all the material....everything, at least once... before taking the first exam. That way, I can attribute a poor score to lack of adequate preparation instead of brand new concepts . And it pinpoints areas where I need more studying.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum ( my friend who got into med school suggested the site)...I had a question....Is there an ideal time to begin taking the old MCAT exams? I am taking 2nd one offered in August but I'm not sure when is the best time to start focusing on old exams.

I disagree with the previous poster. I think it's a good idea to take one practice exam before you get started, to see what you're dealing with. For example, if you take it and make 5PS 9VR 2BS, you know what you have to start from, a diagnostic if you will. After you take the first exam, review review review for about a month and then take another. Hopefully you'll see some improvement. When it gets closer to test time, take a Full Length practice exam once or twice a week to build up stamina. If you're confused about what and when you should be studying, I would suggest the ExamKracker's 10 week Home Study program. You can find it here: http://www.examkrackers.com/home-study.php . I hope this is some help to you. If you have any other questions, you can post on here again or PM me. :thumbup:

I think it's a good idea to take one practice exam before you get started, to see what you're dealing with.

Would you recommend taking (for an initial diagnostic):
*Free full-length test from the Princeton Review online
*Free Kaplan test from Kaplan's online site
*Examkrackers Exam #1H
*an AAMC exam

I wanted to save all my AAMCs for later (closer to test date) but some are saying just to do AAMC 3 now as it is more accurate than Kaplan/Princeton?