How long did it take you to finish BR books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCasta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a Kaplan course and I am almost finished with content review through a combination of Kaplan material and Princeton Review hyperlearning books. I am planning on taking the MCAT on January 31st.

I am thinking about ordering some Berkeley Review books, mainly the Gen Chem book and maybe the physics book as well. Is it worth it to order them at this point? I heard a lot of good things about the passages in the book.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how much you already know and how much time you'll need. I only have TBR Gen Chem and it's great! I do about a chapter a day, which includes reading/taking notes and then hitting the passages/questions (sometimes it takes two days if I'm weak on a concept). There are anywhere from 13-15 passages per chapter and 100 questions so it does take a while to get through all of them and then check your answers.

I don't have any experience with the physics book. It might not be as much.

If you think you can devote several hours a day to it, I'd definitely get the Gen Chem book if you're weak in chemistry.

Physics is 10 passages and 70 questions per section. They give you 90 min. to do all of that. And reading the section/doing the problems scattered as your read takes a while too. I'd say give 4-5 hours a day, and you'll knock out a section a day.

I'd personally suggest taking it across 2 days, and do other stuff (verbal, bio, whatever) in addition each day. I dunno, TOO MUCH of 1 topic gets to me. 10 passages, man... I get burned out! I need more endurance :(

Thanks for the replies

I ordered the BR Gen Chem and Physics books, and they should be here by the 6th. I am going to try for the lofty goal of doing a section of chem and physics a day. Since I am somewhat comfortable with the material (my PS scores have been a 9 and 10 on Kaplan FL 1 & 2 and a 13 on AAMC 3) I will probbably just skim through the reading and focus on the passages. I'll probbably take days off in between for practice tests.

I feel ya on endurance also, I may study for 6 hours at a time, but I need a break at least every hour or so (mainly to check SDN :p)

Physics is 10 passages and 70 questions per section

Is that 70 questions total, or 10 passages and 70 discretes?

Members don't see this ad :)
To do a chapter of each and all the passages would be very hard!!

Here's a tip that Berkteach said before. If you are good and comfortable in a particular section, then only do some of the passages and move on.

You might could do half the passages and do a chapter of each a day. I think the other plan will burn you out. I burned myself each time I took it.

I would also think about getting some of their CBTs.

Their PS books are the best I have seen. TPR Physics is pretty good content wise. I actually liked their content and BR passages.

70 questions with the passages if I remember right.

To do a chapter of each and all the passages would be very hard!!

Here's a tip that Berkteach said before. If you are good and comfortable in a particular section, then only do some of the passages and move on.

You might could do half the passages and do a chapter of each a day. I think the other plan will burn you out. I burned myself each time I took it.

I would also think about getting some of their CBTs.

Their PS books are the best I have seen. TPR Physics is pretty good content wise. I actually liked their content and BR passages.

70 questions with the passages if I remember right.

I was thinking about it as well, and a chapter of each probbably wouldn't be feasible. It wouldn't leave much room for practice tests. I'll try doing half the passsages of each chapter.

I agree about TPR physics, although I am in the Kaplan class I used TPR physics review exclusively, and I feel like I understand the concepts pretty well. I don't think TPR gen chem is quite as good though, that's why I ordered BR, because of the great reviews. I ordered BR physics also due to good reviews.

Even though there is a month to go, it feels like time is running out...