How long do I have to choose between two schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drspongebob22

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was accepted to one of the DO schools several months ago and paid the deposit. Recently I have been accepted to another DO school as well. I had only a few days to accept the offer and pay their deposit. I ended up paying the deposit to this second school as well. I know that I should make a decision asap and withdraw my acceptance from one of the schools so others on the waitlist get their chance. I honestly know this but I am myself under so much pressure right now because my loan application is still in process. I don't know how much I would be qualified for. There is ~ 140K difference between the two schools so I need to first find out if I will receive the full amount of loan I requested. After that, I can make an informed decision.
My question is this: How long do I have now to inform one of the two schools? Is the first school (which is cheaper) going to withdraw my application since I paid the seat deposit to another school? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you asking us? You should be asking the med schools! They're all going to have different policies.
Sorry I didn't know they have different policies. I thought they have a general rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I was accepted to one of the DO schools several months ago and paid the deposit. Recently I have been accepted to another DO school as well. I had only a few days to accept the offer and pay their deposit. I ended up paying the deposit to this second school as well. I know that I should make a decision asap and withdraw my acceptance from one of the schools so others on the waitlist get their chance. I honestly know this but I am myself under so much pressure right now because my loan application is still in process. I don't know how much I would be qualified for. There is ~ 140K difference between the two schools so I need to first find out if I will receive the full amount of loan I requested. After that, I can make an informed decision.
My question is this: How long do I have now to inform one of the two schools? Is the first school (which is cheaper) going to withdraw my application since I paid the seat deposit to another school? Thank you!
They will call/email you pretty soon. I got accepted into my top choice, then 3 days later my current acceptance called to ask that I make a decision ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
They will call/email you pretty soon. I got accepted into my top choice, then 3 days later my current acceptance called to ask that I make a decision ASAP.
He deposited at both schools which means he took the A already at both schools. His decision to both was accept.

He deposited at both schools which means he took the A already at both schools. His decision to both was accept.
I also deposited at both schools, then got the call.

Ah word. Didn’t think they would call.
Yup, something along the line of .... we were notified today that you are holding a seat at another school ...... calling to confirming what your plan is .... hope you will decide to pursue your medical career with us.

OP: Now, maybe if you didn't make the deposit then the 1st school wouldn't know about your recent acceptance at the 2nd school, since you made the deposits at both schools already, they will know imo.

Yup, something along the line of .... we were notified today that you are holding a seat at another school ...... calling to confirming what your plan is .... hope you will decide to pursue your medical career with us.

OP: Now, maybe if you didn't make the deposit then the 1st school wouldn't know about your recent acceptance at the 2nd school, since you made the deposits at both schools already, they will know imo.
Yeah, I was only given a few days to make a decision and I had to do it before the weekend so basically had 2 days to make a decision. But I still don't know for sure which of the two I could afford financially.

Yeah, I was only given a few days to make a decision and I had to do it before the weekend so basically had 2 days to make a decision. But I still don't know for sure which of the two I could afford financially.
140k difference is HUGE, any pros and cons to both schools?

Why don't you name both schools here so people can give you better advise? 140k is a lot and in my experience you will get COA of each schools unless you have tons of previous debts, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why don't you name both schools here so people can give you better advise? 140k is a lot and in my experience you will get COA of each schools unless you have tons of previous debts, correct me if I'm wrong.
That big of a different might just be LECOM vs CCOM.

140k difference is HUGE, any pros and cons to both schools?
Yeah that's a good idea! Thanks. So TouroCOM is one of them (tuition is ~60K). Renting a one bedroom there is ~ 2.2K, in general cost of living is high over there. The process of renting a place is crazy! I should have a guarantor who makes at least 50x-80x the monthly rent. The health insurance that the school offers is ~ 5K. They also have a flipped classroom curriculum. I will create a separate thread about the flipped classroom model to see what people think of it. I talked to a few students and it seemed that this way of teaching doesn't give them enough time to study other materials. One of the people I talked to mentioned that they are in the class till afternoon and sometimes they have up to 12 hours of videos to watch after the class for the next day. This worries me a bit because I wonder how they can study other board prep materials during the second year.

William Carey is the other one (tuition is ~44K) cost of living I believe is cheap in MS. I could rent a one bedroom for about $900. Health insurance is about 2K. I ultimately want to practice in California and I don't think any of the two schools have strong ties over there; I could be wrong though! I'm interested in internal medicine and neurology but that could change as I actually start doing rotations.

Yeah that's a good idea! Thanks. So TouroCOM is one of them (tuition is ~60K). Renting a one bedroom there is ~ 2.2K, in general cost of living is high over there. The process of renting a place is crazy! I should have a guarantor who makes at least 50x-80x the monthly rent. The health insurance that the school offers is ~ 5K. They also have a flipped classroom curriculum. I will create a separate thread about the flipped classroom model to see what people think of it. I talked to a few students and it seemed that this way of teaching doesn't give them enough time to study other materials. One of the people I talked to mentioned that they are in the class till afternoon and sometimes they have up to 12 hours of videos to watch after the class for the next day. This worries me a bit because I wonder how they can study other board prep materials during the second year.

William Carey is the other one (tuition is ~44K) cost of living I believe is cheap in MS. I could rent a one bedroom for about $900. Health insurance is about 2K. I ultimately want to practice in California and I don't think any of the two schools have strong ties over there; I could be wrong though! I'm interested in internal medicine and neurology but that could change as I actually start doing rotations.
Once you are licensed you can practice anywhere you want, however you might have to do residency elsewhere. Go to the cheaper school.

Worth noting that William Carey is on Goro's not recommended list due to a high attrition and 92% placement rate. Placement, not match.

William Carey has apparently had some accreditation issues in the past among some other problems. You can ask @Goro and others who probably know more than me. This is one of those rare times where it’s probably better to take on the extra tuition.

Edit - no accreditation issues but got other problems per Goro.

Last edited:
William Carey has apparently had some accreditation issues in the past among some other problems. You can ask @Goro and others who probably know more than me. This is one of those rare times where it’s probably better to take on the extra tuition.
WCU has issues, but an accreditation warning is not one of them

Edit - no accreditation issues but got other problems per Goro.

I would have if Touro didn't have a flipped classroom approach. I honestly feel like this method of teaching isolate students from each other too much, and covid will be making everything worse. I could be wrong though. Most of the students I talked to didn't like the approach. Some were Touro's alumni and some took their MSc at Touro, and decided to pursue their medical education somewhere else. Again, I've never done it before and it could be the best method of teaching/studying.