How long do I wait before asking again for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed a dentist starting in February and would shadow 5 hours a week, racking up over 65 hours. I asked in late April if he would be able to write a LOR. He said that would be fine. I told him I'd like to have it submitted the first week of June, which gave him about 5 weeks. The last week I shadowed, which was the first week of June he said he would be done in a few days. I sent him a reminder email a week ago saying my app is prepared and I'm just waiting for his letter. I offered to send a copy of my PS and asked if there was anything I could do to assist. He never replied. Should I be patient, or should I pay him visit next week? At this point he's had 7 weeks, and what bugs me the most is he said he would but hasn't and then flat out ignored me. If he didn't want to, that's fine, but he should at least have let me know weeks ago instead of leading me to believe it would be written on time. I've already sent in my application, but it's obviously incomplete without the letter. What should I do?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot of people are in the same boat as you including me. I actually had to hound down two people: my dentists and my professor. I have been shooting them e-mails, but they have been ignoring them. When I went to see them in person, they said that they in fact have gotten my e-mails but just didn't have the time to reply to them. From my experience, it is rare that they forgot but they just lack the "push" to finish the errand.

If I were in your shoe, I would just drop by to say hello to your dentist.

I shadowed a dentist starting in February and would shadow 5 hours a week, racking up over 65 hours. I asked in late April if he would be able to write a LOR. He said that would be fine. I told him I'd like to have it submitted the first week of June, which gave him about 5 weeks. The last week I shadowed, which was the first week of June he said he would be done in a few days. I sent him a reminder email a week ago saying my app is prepared and I'm just waiting for his letter. I offered to send a copy of my PS and asked if there was anything I could do to assist. He never replied. Should I be patient, or should I pay him visit next week? At this point he's had 7 weeks, and what bugs me the most is he said he would but hasn't and then flat out ignored me. If he didn't want to, that's fine, but he should at least have let me know weeks ago instead of leading me to believe it would be written on time. I've already sent in my application, but it's obviously incomplete without the letter. What should I do?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dude, considering that you finished applying to all three texas schools. You should definitely stop by to your dentist ASAP to get your letter of rec. Make sure he sends it out soon, because he might even postpone it several times.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad, I thought you were a texas resident lol.

Could just write one for him and have him sign it.

To be fair, I usually give my LORs at least 2-3 months notice in advance, a month isn't really alot of time especially if they are busy. And most of them get the LOR done by the time I asked them to be. But there's always that one guy. Just gotta keep busting his balls.

I thought I was the only one lol

A professor was supposed to finish his today, but lo and behold, I've got nothing. He told me a couple of weeks ago that he would finish by today, and would in fact probably finish sooner. I've only got 1 letter thus far, with another professor due to finish by next Friday. So aggravating, yet I guess it's all part of the process and partly my fault for not asking earlier (except the dentist who has had nearly two months)

It's okay man, I asked all of my guys in Feburary because the Texas App started in May. My final letter wasn't submitted until the end of May. For the AADSAS application, I thought they would get it in faster because I would think they will use the same letter. Still missing one from the same guy.

This is becoming very frustrating:
Prof was supposed to finish June 20
I emailed June 24 to remind him, he said he is out of the country until the 27.
I email again July 2 to get an update. He says he will finish by Monday the 7th.
Still no letter submitted and he's 2 1/2 weeks late

Do I stay on him and keep reminding him? He will start teaching summer classes in a couple of weeks, and if it's not done by then then I worry he won't get around to writing it until late August.

Members don't see this ad :)
same problem here.... What is these people problems? they know how important this stuff is, and yet, they say yes to help, but don't come......

I just sent an email to my prof. what a prick some ppl can be, for no reason.

if they don't want to do it, they should be a mature adult person and say, hey i can't .

if they don't want to do it, they should be a mature adult person and say, hey i can't .

That's exactly how I feel. I can deal with rejection, and in this case I would much rather hear that they can't do it than to string me along for weeks on end with no end in sight. Even though I've done nothing wrong, I feel bad when I keep emailing to remind him, as if I'm disturbing him.

Yes, be persistent. You can say something like "One school has put my application on hold due to lack of required letters."

good one

Doesn't AADSAS send out weekly reminders to letter writers?

I started sending out weekly reminders mid June. I think if you've asked for your letters in advance and you've gone past the date you asked for them to be done, then you can't really feel bad about sending out regular reminders. Be persistent, polite, and yeah, doesn't hurt to come up with some good reasons why you are at a disadvantage if they don't get themselves in gear. I finally got my last letter yesterday.

Kinda late in this cycle for this advice, but always ask for more letters than you need. I had a neurosurgeon flake out on me, even though I gave her 6 months of lead time. No problem. I have enough letters from more reliable writers. At a certain point, you have to ask yourself if you would want the letter that you had to hound someone for. You have to hope that their guilt about not writing it sooner causes them to write a stronger letter when they do prepare it.

I suppose that's good advice in hindsight, but when someone assures you that they will write it and you have a good relationship with them, it's hard to consider the fact that they may not follow through.

Yeah there's always that one evaluator. Thats why I try to keep at least an extra one on the side just in case.

What did the trick is my advisor emailed him saying that his letter is the one holding up my LOR packet. Then he got it done in 3 days after 6 months of lead time.

For my LORs I bugged the writer every day until I received the confirmation email from them saying it was done. Sometimes you have to be persistent.

So glad yall feel my pain! I asked my advisor to write me a letter back in February, reminded her a few times throughout the semester and periodically through the summer. still nothing. I've taken 4 classes with this woman, been out of the country with her, AND she used to be the pre-health advisor herself so she understands the stress and importance of these letters. I was so frustrated I sent out an email to another professor who I barely had a relationship this morning explaining my situation and he responded within an hour saying that he would have the letter done in a week. I don't understand how this process works sometimes...

I suppose that's good advice in hindsight, but when someone assures you that they will write it and you have a good relationship with them, it's hard to consider the fact that they may not follow through.

Just try and get someone else in the pipeline at least. This guy may or may not come through but at least you have a back up going. Doesn't even matter if the new guy barely knows you at this point. Give him your resume and personal statement and that should be enough.

edit : Ah its a general dentist. If anything, write the letter for him and just have him sign it. Chances are, he can barely write anymore. That certainly was the case for my class mate's letter. He had to revise the entire thing.

edit : Ah its a general dentist. If anything, write the letter for him and just have him sign it. Chances are, he can barely write anymore. That certainly was the case for my class mate's letter. He had to revise the entire thing.

The dentist finished his letter about two weeks ago.
This prof is going on three weeks late
My other prof decided to mail his letter instead of electronically submitting it. Interfolio still hasn't received it. I asked the prof to electronically submit it if it wasn't too much trouble and I haven't received a reply.

this is only the beginning of the cycle and I'm stressed, lol. I can only imagine what it's going to be like come late November

same problem here.... What is these people problems? they know how important this stuff is, and yet, they say yes to help, but don't come......

I just sent an email to my prof. what a prick some ppl can be, for no reason.

I just got my LOR this morning....... Finally.....

Good luck Y'ALL, keep on nagging the prof. or dr. , every other day, thats what i did for two weeks

Reactions: 1 user
I'm getting killed by my dentist LoR too. I've known the guy for 20 years, did tons of shadowing with him......I have to call him every other day to remind him.

I emailed the prof this morning and just got notified by Interfolio that he submitted the letter.

Reactions: 1 user