How long does it approximately take to adjust to working as a tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SeekerofTruth

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just wondering, when all of you first got tech/intern experience, how long did it take to adjust to the field? I am mainly thinking about retail and hospital.
 
I worked customer service before so retail was fairly easy to slip into. I also worked hospital in the lab so hospital was more bearable to slip into. Of the two the learning curve of hospital is much scarier. Retail is more frustrating; ie: I could never figure out the insurance issues. It took a solid week of 9-5 hospital experience before I stopped having mini panic attacks everytime I made an IV, tried to find a med room or filled a machine. After that Id say after a few months of 1-2 shifts/week I was solid.