How long does it take to get a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to how long after you ask for a letter of rec do they write you a LOR. I am trying to schedule my 4th year electives and want to know what is too late (October?) to do and elective and still get a good LOR.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Too long. Although I had one letter writer have a letter to me in less than a week, so you never know.

it depends on the person. some take a couple of weeks, some take a few months, others - never! i have noticed that there is a faster turnaround if you ask close to the time that applications are sent out, ie. August - October.

i think doing a rotation in October with the hopes of getting a letter is cutting it close. can you schedule it earlier?

Members don't see this ad :)
djipopo said:
i think doing a rotation in October with the hopes of getting a letter is cutting it close. can you schedule it earlier?

Well, I will be doing earlier ones as well but I was hoping to get 1 more ER letter by doing another elective in October. I will hopefully have 3 ER letter but was hoping to get a 4th with an October elective, just in case one of them is a standard/unhelpful letter. You see, I am studying in Australia and I need as many US letters as I can get.

Maybe if I stress that I need it superfast, he/she will help me out.

trkd said:
Well, I will be doing earlier ones as well but I was hoping to get 1 more ER letter by doing another elective in October. I will hopefully have 3 ER letter but was hoping to get a 4th with an October elective, just in case one of them is a standard/unhelpful letter. You see, I am studying in Australia and I need as many US letters as I can get.

Maybe if I stress that I need it superfast, he/she will help me out.

Most programs require 3 letters.
Send in the three on time, then if you do get a fourth in October send it in as a bonus whenever. Often the letters are reread at rank time, so the three get you the interview and the 4th helps at rank time.

Good luck.

Ps. dont rush them, theyre doing you a favor, no matter how hard you worked expect 2 week turn around minimum.