how long does it take to get your scheduling permit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porkchop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And so I've applied online for the step 1 and got the form stamped by the dean of my medical school. I understand it can only be sent off via your own medical school, and mine has decided to send it for me via normal (air) mail. Since I live in Asia, it's probably take at least 2 weeks to arrive in the states.

Question is, how long does it take for the scheduling permit to be sent out once the ECFMG receives your certification of identification form? is it sent out to candidates via regular mail or courier?

I chose Sept - Nov as my eligibility period, and I'm worried that if this scheduling permit takes too long to reach me, I will be left with few choices for the exam dates I want.

Does anybody have any input on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It should take about 2-3 weeks to verify things for most ppl. They no longer mail the permits, it's all online now. Just keep checking your email and when ecfmg approves everything, they'll send you a link to their iwa (online services thing). From there, you can access your scheduling permit after you type in your usmle id number. If your application was fully correct/complete, and there's no holdup with the mail (sent from your school to ecfmg), you will definitely get your permit sometime in June (latest is July).