how long does it take to read FA?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strive01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say for one chapter of FA with annotations from FA - how long does it take most people to read through that?!

it takes out MOST of my day and i was wondering if i was being too slow - maybe im trying to memorize too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be asking how long it takes other people. What is important is that you learn the material. First Aid is killer for the USMLE Step 1. If you know it and are able to apply the information in a testing situation you will do well. Take your time and get the material down!

Survivor DO

I wouldn't be asking how long it takes other people. What is important is that you learn the material. First Aid is killer for the USMLE Step 1. If you know it and are able to apply the information in a testing situation you will do well. Take your time and get the material down!

Survivor DO

I agree with the above... use as much time as you need. But also look at your schedule and make sure you can incorporate it... if you go slow and get 90% of it... then the next time you go over it... it'll probably take you very little time.. and you probably know most of it already...

.. I go fast and only retain about 20% each time... so it really depends on you and only you. There is no right answer to it. study on brother!

say for one chapter of FA with annotations from FA - how long does it take most people to read through that?!

it takes out MOST of my day and i was wondering if i was being too slow - maybe im trying to memorize too much?

It's been 2 years since I studied for step 1, but I forced myself to read 10pages/hr for 5 hours/day+ 4 pages of the HY section. This would allow me to cover FA in about 10 days. I would do this at least a couple of times.

FA is like phonebook, don't expect to just be able to memorize it. Get a sense of where things are - and then everytime you fail to answer a Qbank question correctly, look it up in FA, internalize the info, or add the info along with any relevant picture or table from Uworld* etc

*The software blocks screen capture software, but there is always a program that the UW client won't detect... Worked like a charm for me and I did very well on step 1.

Last edited: