MA/MS How long does it take to train in CBT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmohaulic

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a psychotherapist, are you trained in every modality right out of school? Or are you only trained in specific ones? How long does it take to learn each modality?

Members don't see this ad.

As a psychotherapist, are you trained in every modality right out of school? Or are you only trained in specific ones? How long does it take to learn each modality?

How long does it take to do...what?

Learning is life long. Therapy is not some static entity that never changes or develops.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to do...what?

Learning is life long. Therapy is not some static entity that never changes or develops.

But like a licensed professional counselor for instance who wants to get training in cbt.. Is that provided in their curriculum or post grad? How long is the training to be able to independently practice cbt

But like a licensed professional counselor for instance who wants to get training in cbt.. Is that provided in their curriculum or post grad? How long is the training to be able to independently practice cbt

The answer to the first question is it depends on the program. The second question's answer is it depends (helpful?). I'm doing my second training in TF-CBT (the first was done during my grad program) and it is approximately one year long. I wouldn't consider myself done training in it after completion just like I didn't consider myself finished after the first go round which is why it's difficult to give a concrete answer to these questions. You can start practicing a modality under careful supervision as soon as you begin training in it, and have to to learn it. Sooo, you can start right away but you'll likely be training in any technique indefinitely. As Erg said, they're not static.