How long does it take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dganaden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for school to usually decide if they want you to come in for an interview?

I have been done with my secondary applications since October and have still not heard from all of the schools that I have applied to. My MCAT (19O) stunk and my GPA was not the best due to having some family issues when taking Organic 1 and 2. I have since retaken my Organic I with a B and am now taking Organic II this spring.

I have been told by the schools that my application is still being reviewed by the board. What does that usually mean? I was told by one school, that I was on a waiting list for an interview. Are they just waiting to see how I did in my Genetics and Organic Chemistry classes last fall?

I have every intention to retake the MCAT again in April, and hopefully bring my GPA back up to a 3.30 science after Organic II. I also have many hours of shadowing experience and volunteer work. It’s just hard to do at times while working 45+ hrs a week at my job and school 4 nights a week for 4-5 hrs a night.

I am an older and non-traditional student that had decided to pursue a dream of going to medical school.

Any input or comments would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

dganaden said:
How long does it take for school to usually decide if they want you to come in for an interview?

I have been done with my secondary applications since October and have still not heard from all of the schools that I have applied to. My MCAT (19O) stunk and my GPA was not the best due to having some family issues when taking Organic 1 and 2. I have since retaken my Organic I with a B and am now taking Organic II this spring.

I have been told by the schools that my application is still being reviewed by the board. What does that usually mean? I was told by one school, that I was on a waiting list for an interview. Are they just waiting to see how I did in my Genetics and Organic Chemistry classes last fall?

I have every intention to retake the MCAT again in April, and hopefully bring my GPA back up to a 3.30 science after Organic II. I also have many hours of shadowing experience and volunteer work. It’s just hard to do at times while working 45+ hrs a week at my job and school 4 nights a week for 4-5 hrs a night.

I am an older and non-traditional student that had decided to pursue a dream of going to medical school.

Any input or comments would be helpful.

Well, October is kind of late and most schools have probably accepted a large portion of their classes by now. Make sure you update them immediately after finishing classes and re-taking MCAT.

When they say an application is under review it could mean you might hear from them next week, or in my case(2-3 schools) never heard from them again.

Work less. It'll be worth it later.

DarkWingDuck said:
Well, October is kind of late and most schools have probably accepted a large portion of their classes by now. Make sure you update them immediately after finishing classes and re-taking MCAT.

When they say an application is under review it could mean you might hear from them next week, or in my case(2-3 schools) never heard from them again.

I figured I was doing good by getting all of them in by early October.

It's hard to work less when you have a family to support. Unlike some people that I have talked with, I don't have anyone paying my way for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
True. And others take out huge amounts of debt.

Consider taking out a second mortgage, or getting a personal loan to supplement a reduced income. Especially while studying for your re-take.

Good luck and stay in contact with the schools you're waiting on.

DarkWingDuck said:

I think October is pretty much in the middle. I submitted my stuff in Nov/Dec and have been put on hold by two schools and an interview invite from NYCOM (which I was suprised to hear from seeing that they just starting interviewing in Nov). I too have a low mcat (21 Q) but a pretty good GPA (3.75). Just keep the faith man and prepare well for the retake.

NUKID