How long does the MCAT last ?

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm planning to take the MCAT in the end of sophomore year. Like the most of typical premeds in undergrad, I'm planning to start my application process in the summer of junior year.

How long does the MCAT score is valid ?

I assume it can be used to the medical schools I will apply for 5 years from the date I have taken.

Thanks for any comments in advance :biglove:

High school senior: Study MCAT Verbal
Fresh man: Prereq cources only+Study MCAT
Freshman summer: Prereqs only+Study MCAT
Soph:preqreqs only + Study MCAT
Soph's summer: Take MCAT Test
Junior:Take many college courses to catch up for graduation requirements because but I have only taken preqres in past 2 yerars for MCAT but not other courses.
Junior summer: Apply
Senior: Get accepted or go apply to McDonald or Burgerking.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I'm planning to take the MCAT in the end of sophomore year. Like the most of typical premeds in undergrad, I'm planning to start my application process in the summer of junior year.

I assume it can be used to the medical schools I want to apply for 5 years from the data I have taken.

Kinda curious as to why it matters if you plan to take it after soph year?

Kinda curious as to why it matters if you plan to take it after soph year?

I am planning to only take prereq courses in freshman and soph years in order to concentrate on my MCAT exam. From the fall of Junior, I will start to take many classes college courses to catch up so then I do not need to worry about the MCAT exam anymore.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There may be some exceptions that I'm unaware of, but 3 years is standard.

It doesn't matter if you take it sophmore year or in your junior year, the important thing is to take it when you are ready. Although earlier is better if you have to retake. I took the MCAT at the end of April my junior year, and had my application in on the first day in early June.

It usually takes about a month to get your scores back.

I am planning to only take prereq courses in freshman and soph years in order to concentrate on my MCAT exam. From the summer of soph, I will start to take many classes college courses to catch up so then I do not need to worry about the MCAT exam anymore.

Still not seeing your point though bud. The poster above stated that it last around 3 years, I plan on taking it after winter break of my Junior Year.

Still not seeing your point though bud. The poster above stated that it last around 3 years, I plan on taking it after winter break of my Junior Year.

If it's 3 years, then my plan should work out. :)

Junior:Take many college courses to catch up for graduation requirements because but I have only taken preqres in past 2 yerars for MCAT but not other courses.

If it's 3 years, then my plan should work out. :)

Sorry bud, but your plan really doesn't work. It is almost worthless to study for the MCAT without doing pre-reqs. You really only need to study during your winter and summer break to get more than well enough prepared. Do you know that you're uni will let you take ONLY prereqs? I don't know any that do...

Sorry bud, but your plan really doesn't work. It is almost worthless to study for the MCAT without doing pre-reqs. You really only need to study during your winter and summer break to get more than well enough prepared. Do you know that you're uni will let you take ONLY prereqs? I don't know any that do...

Thank you for helping out here :)

Verbal section does not require specific knowledge so I can start to study from high school.

In freshman year, I can take Gen Chem and Gen Physics for Physical Science section in MCAT. In addition, I can take Eng Composition and Math at the same time.

In freshman summer I can study for MCAT's Physical Science section.

In Sop year, take Orgo chem and gen bio for Biological Science section in MCAT. Study for every section in MCAT in May, June, Jule. Take it in August.

Does that make sense ? It will give me time to study every section in MCAT.

Verbal section does not require specific knowledge so I can start to study from high school.

In freshman year, I can take Gen Chem and Gen Physics for Physical Science section in MCAT. In addition, I can take Eng Composition and Math at the same time.

In Sop year, take Orgo chem and gen bio for Biological Science section in MCAT. Study for every section in MCAT in May, June, Jule. Take it in August.

For the verbal section, many people recommend just reading. Reading books or newspapers/magazines will help immensly. What you can do when you're reading is trying to identify why the author wrote what he did, what he is protraying, and why he protrayed it the way he did.

It is better to do a more of a long bulk study session than anything else. You're classes will teach you the materials, MCAT studying is just a REVIEW. It sounds more like you are thinking you will need to relearn everything. One summer should be plenty of time to study for the MCAT, but if you want more time, start studying during your winter break of your sophmore year a little at a time and add more as you progress towards your MCAT date. A month or two before you take the test you should begin practicing the full length practice tests to get your mind used to the long duration and strain of the test.

Hope that helps!

Kemp.

I would work on getting into UG and getting everything ready for that now... why add more stress to it when you probably won't understand any of it anyways?

I'd do this. That would also allow you an extra semester to take the pre-reqs which will make a huge difference. Squeezing all that science into 2 years will make you postal. Believe me. I did it, and it wasn't fun.

For the verbal section, many people recommend just reading. Reading books or newspapers/magazines will help immensly. What you can do when you're reading is trying to identify why the author wrote what he did, what he is protraying, and why he protrayed it the way he did.

It is better to do a more of a long bulk study session than anything else. You're classes will teach you the materials, MCAT studying is just a REVIEW. It sounds more like you are thinking you will need to relearn everything. One summer should be plenty of time to study for the MCAT, but if you want more time, start studying during your winter break of your sophmore year a little at a time and add more as you progress towards your MCAT date. A month or two before you take the test you should begin practicing the full length practice tests to get your mind used to the long duration and strain of the test.

Hope that helps!

Kemp.

Thanks for the advice Kemp ! :D Hope we will both rock on the MCAT oneday !

I would work on getting into UG and getting everything ready for that now... why add more stress to it when you probably won't understand any of it anyways?

You are right. I have to get into a UG first :)

I'd do this. That would also allow you an extra semester to take the pre-reqs which will make a huge difference. Squeezing all that science into 2 years will make you postal. Believe me. I did it, and it wasn't fun.

Just wondering, did you squeeze all the prereqs in two years and did the same thing as me ?

Thanks for the advice Kemp ! :D Hope we will both rock on the MCAT oneday !

Just wondering, did you squeeze all the prereqs in two years and did the same thing as me ?

Haha, hopefully we will. During your college years, paying really good attention and studying for class will be more benefical for the MCAT then starting to study early.

Your UG will also affect your scheduling, many will strongly advise one way or another.

My guess is he did them in 2 +1/2 years (Freshman-1st sem of Junior). I'm lucky in the fact I will have a full 3 years, since I have 1 sem of college basically out of the way. (So I'll have 1/2 year of glasses {mostly gen eds, some may be electives} starting out freshman year, by the time I'm a junior, I'll have 2+1/2 done, so I will be a little ahead of the game and won't have to rush).

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I took the MCAT after my senior year of college. I took all the pre-reqs together because I went into school with a ton of hours and didn't need many electives, so I just started into my bio degree.

this sounds good in theory but not very good in practice. Studying for different sections disjointed like that (years apart) will only frustrate you when you come back and realize you have to re-learn all that crap again because you forgot it while focusing on another subject. Honestly, you have neurotic premed written all over you and you aren't in undegrad yet! (that's not a diss) relax, focus on getting into college & thinking about the future road ahead & everything will come to you in time. Planning is good but you can't necessarily plan every single detail - you have to let things happen. Do 3 prereqs a semester, physics over one summer, and you'll be fine... but seriously relax!

plus, if you let the mcat start consuming you before you step foot in class you will be burnt out before you hit the end of freshman year. the transition from high school to college is very difficult for many people (it was for me) - focus on that and adjusting your study habits to college - not the mcat!

Lol, I wouldn't worry about getting in too much though; things will work out eventually.

It depends on which major and grad program you want to do. For instance some colleges have future pharmacy students do two years of pre-reqs and then go strait into pharmacy, but then others have you do pre-reqs and actually have a major (Instead of being Pre-Pharmacy it would be a major in Biology or someting) and then go into grad school. I would spread them out though if you're not entirely sure of where you want to go... also those classes tend to be the more difficult ones and it might be too much to squish them all together.

Thank you for all your comments :)

I learned a lot from you guys.

Mercy Mercy Mercy

Last edited:
WARNING: You DO NOT need Zoology for your pre med requirements and it WILL NOT show up on the MCAT. Don't take it if you dont want to and dont let anybody from your school tell you otherwise.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it above (i did not read the whole thread)....in any case, one thing to remember about the MCAT is that it is a different kind of test than what you will encounter during undergrad and H.S.......

One thing I wish someone advised me about is that: while it is important to know the material for the MCAT it is just as crucial if not more crucial to know the techniques required to be successful on exam day. That is to say that the MCAT requires certain techniques and skills that you may not necessarily learn in H.S. or undergrad.

Hope I'm understandable, and hope this helps. Thanks.

What that means is the MCAT is critical thinking test just as much as or more than it is a science test. That is absolutely correct.

Dang man. Your making me feel bad. Im just hoping to go to the UG that i want to, and you already have your MCAT/class schedule figured out. I still dont know what i want to major in. Your making me feel so un prepared o_O

Dang man. Your making me feel bad. Im just hoping to go to the UG that i want to, and you already have your MCAT/class schedule figured out. I still dont know what i want to major in. Your making me feel so un prepared o_O

Lol who is?

Hello guys,

I assume it can be used to the medical schools I will apply for 5 years from the date I have taken.

I'd focus on learning the prereq material well, then begin prepping, either with a course or with self-study, the beginning of your sophomore summer for an August take. The "prereq courses + Study MCAT" deal is redundant.

I took it summer after sophomore year, but I definitely dont recommend studying for the MCAT in senior year of high school....thats just ridiculous.

Id say just learn the info in your prereqs and then 4-8 weeks of studying for the mcat.

It is better to do a more of a long bulk study session than anything else. You're classes will teach you the materials, MCAT studying is just a REVIEW. It sounds more like you are thinking you will need to relearn everything. One summer should be plenty of time to study for the MCAT, but if you want more time, start studying during your winter break of your sophmore year a little at a time and add more as you progress towards your MCAT date. A month or two before you take the test you should begin practicing the full length practice tests to get your mind used to the long duration and strain of the test."

Great advice, thank you, sir!

Why are you asking this in the high school forum??

Just realized this was a resurrection. Sorry :(