How long for secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luitime2585

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my AMCAS on Friday. I know it was late. However, how long does it usually take schools to review your application and send secondaries? Assuming that you're not screened out.

Members don't see this ad.

If you just submitted your AMCAS, you're probably not verified yet, so the schools you applied to only know your name and contact info, but do not have your app. Some schools will send you a secondary right away on the basis of that alone. I got George Washington, Boston University and Pritzker like 3 days after I submitted. That was two weeks ago. I am still not verified and I haven't gotten any other secondaries so far, even though most of the schools I applied to do not screen.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I submitted two weeks ago...still not verified. I've received and submitted Boston U, NY Medical College, George Washington, and Penn State. Now I'm just waiting for verification (and my MCAT scores on Wed) in order to get the other 36 secondaries.

Geez...we're late!

Members don't see this ad :)
40 schools? If I may ask, why so many? That must cost a little more than a small fortune

I know: $$$...basically I've promised free healthcare to every member of my family! LOL

I applied to 40 schools through AMCAS because I still don't have my MCAT scores. I plan to cut this number down (for secondaries) once I get my MCAT results on the 19th.

I made an expensive mistake: I should have applied to only a few schools in the beginning and then ADDED more schools based on my numbers. too late now!

I am in the same boat!!! WHAAAAAA!!!! I also submitted two weeks ago. My question is, are we really late? I mean, this is SDN, and lots of people don't know about SDN. I've got lots of friends at my public state school that are still submitting secondaries.

In the non-SDN world, don't people usually submit their AMCAS in August?

Anyway, :luck: to y'all!!

Yeah...

I figured we were a bit late, but I heard that September was an OK time to get it all in. My application is complete, with my scores and all, so does that mean that i'll be recieving all the 22 secondaries at once?

You quickly realize that SDN is unique, that the people here are focused, or looking to become focused on getting into medical school. Do not fear! You'll be fine. People here, including myself are ultra-paranoid and the people here do much more than many other people. So, don't worry, you're not too late. Many people who have many activities, summer involvements etc submit in late august/sept and then due secondaries until the due date. Relax and try to stay focused and encouraged

As the above posts stated, sometimes you get secondaries in email before you're verified, depending on the school. For others, we'll get them within the first few days after verification. It seems to be taking three weeks to get verified.

I guess that was what I wanted to ask. How long it would take to verify after all the MCAT scores, transcripts, and application had been submitted? So I guess i'll just have to wait. This whole process requires too much patience. First pre-med courses, then studying for the MCATs, then waiting for the scores, now waiting for the general app to go through:sleep:. Then i'll finally be able to start my real education.

I think that we'll all be fine. We just need to make sure that we stay proactive during the next few months...making sure that we complete secondaries in a timely manner, getting LORs sent out as soon as we receive secondaries, and ensuring that the schools are getting all of our documents.

Brsboarder is right! We're all just a bunch of ultra-paranoid over-achievers.

In case this helps anyone, I called the med schools I'm applying to to ask if I could sent them LORs before getting my primary verified. Most said yes, but some said no (5 of 23 said no). Maybe this would help in your case, too? And you have to be careful because for some school the address to send the letters differs from the address of the adcoms listed on their websites.

Prewriting secondaries also helps.

I guess that was what I wanted to ask. How long it would take to verify after all the MCAT scores, transcripts, and application had been submitted? So I guess i'll just have to wait. This whole process requires too much patience. First pre-med courses, then studying for the MCATs, then waiting for the scores, now waiting for the general app to go through:sleep:. Then i'll finally be able to start my real education.

Check out the last page of this great thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=413112&page=14

As of Friday, Sept. 14, it looks as though AMCAS was working on (finished with) people who submitted their applications on August 21st.

So basically, I'm thinking that if we submitted on Sept. 1st, then we should be verified by ~ Sept. 27th (give or take a few days). To the OP: it looks as though your AMCAS will be verified around the first or second week of October. Dunno...might be a bit faster or slower?!?

In case this helps anyone, I called the med schools I'm applying to to ask if I could sent them LORs before getting my primary verified. Most said yes, but some said no (5 of 23 said no). Maybe this would help in your case, too? And you have to be careful because for some school the address to send the letters differs from the address of the adcoms listed on their websites.

Prewriting secondaries also helps.

Nata: Great advice!

I've been pre-writing my secondaries, as well. You guys might want to check out page 9 of this great link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=419935&highlight=secondaries+2008+questions&page=9

If you scroll down half way through page 9, you can find the secondary essay questions for almost EVERY school! Good luck

just curious....

do u have to submit by the primary due date

or be verified by then??