1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How long is your personal statement?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Spang, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

I'm trying to get a feel for length. I've got about 4500 characters and it takes up a whole page in MS Word. I get about the same count when I paste it into the AMCAS 2002 app.

I really feel like I've said what I wanted to say and don't see any reason to add crap just to take up another 800 characters.

Any feedback on this?

Spang

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fishtolive

fishtolive Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

5298 characters...I had a lot to say. I think 4500 isn't skimpy though, cuz you can definitely get a point across in 1 page on word.

4. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

5300 characters on the dot! :D

but the actual length of your personal statement isn't what's important--what matters is if you've properly communicated what you want to say. if you feel you've said all that you need to say in 4500 characters and you're perfectly happy with it, don't add 800 characters-worth of babble just to fill the maximal space. i just had a lot to say and that's why mine is so long.

5. Rudboy3

Rudboy3 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I wouldn't worry about it too much. More isn't better by any means...it is definitely the quality that counts. Mine happened to be about 5,297 but that was just because at one point, it was like 6,100 because word didn't count spacing while AMCAS did....let me tell you it wasn't fun to chop **** out of my essay.

6. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    4,997 here and that was because I felt I had to cut some things because I wouldn't fully be able to develop them in the personal statement. I used that as material for the vision statement instead.

7. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't worry about the length. In fact, I would advocate cutting out all the "crap" and streamlining your personal statement, realizing that most adcoms will have only a few minutes to browse your whole file--make your points quickly and succinctly.

My personal statement, I remember, only filled up 3/4 of the page, typed on the AMCAS form (back in the old days).

8. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Vision: 3112
    Personal: 4748

It's definitely more about what you say and how you say it. Remember how much time they actually give each of these essays. You just want it to be to the point.

Andrew

9. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    vision: 3432
    Personal: 4659

For my personal statement, I brought it down from 6400 characters to 4659. I tried my best to write concisely.