How long it takes to get ECFMG certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm in my 3rd year now, starting 4th year in June. I'm planning to match 2012 (5 year MBBS)

I'm planning out my USMLE schedule, and want to be ECFMG certified by Sept, 2011 (since ERAS/NRMP apps are due Octoberish, 2011, if I'm not mistaken)

If I did my Step 2 CK/CS around June, 2011, would this give me enough time to get ECFMG certified, and in time to get interviews?

I ask this because I know many programs require to be ECFMG certified before being offered an interview...

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

There is some confusion in terminology.

In order to participate in the match, you need to complete steps 1 and 2 of the USMLE before the rank order deadline (which is end Feb). In reality, however, you need to really have them done prior to your application and hence would be best to have those results available by Sept/Oct. And, yes, if you take the exams in June you should have results by then.

However, to actually be ECFMG certified you need to pass the exams AND graduate from medical school. You mentioned that you're starting your 4th year (of a 5 year program) in June 2010, hence you'll graduate sometime just before June 2012. Therefore, no matter what you do, you will not actually be ECFMG certified during the 2012 match season.

Many programs will interview you if you are "ECFMG eligible" -- a term I just created and has no legal standing anywhere == passed all of your exams and scheduled to graduate prior to residency starting. Some programs will want full ECFMG certification for an interview -- in that case, you wouldn't be able apply until 2013.

Great, thanks for that.

When is the NRMP application deadline. Nov.1? Or Dec.1? Cause if its Dec.1, I could probably then write my Step 2 around early October, no?

There is some confusion in terminology.

In order to participate in the match, you need to complete steps 1 and 2 of the USMLE before the rank order deadline (which is end Feb). In reality, however, you need to really have them done prior to your application and hence would be best to have those results available by Sept/Oct. And, yes, if you take the exams in June you should have results by then.

However, to actually be ECFMG certified you need to pass the exams AND graduate from medical school. You mentioned that you're starting your 4th year (of a 5 year program) in June 2010, hence you'll graduate sometime just before June 2012. Therefore, no matter what you do, you will not actually be ECFMG certified during the 2012 match season.

Many programs will interview you if you are "ECFMG eligible" -- a term I just created and has no legal standing anywhere == passed all of your exams and scheduled to graduate prior to residency starting. Some programs will want full ECFMG certification for an interview -- in that case, you wouldn't be able apply until 2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks for that.

When is the NRMP application deadline. Nov.1? Or Dec.1? Cause if its Dec.1, I could probably then write my Step 2 around early October, no?
The NRMP deadline is end of february -- it's the same day rank lists are due. As mentioned, you'd be best to ignore that and have both steps done (i.e. scores reported) by Sept 1 or Oct 1, Nov 1 at the absolute latest.

Blitz...

since you are applying for surgery, bear in mind that most programs have November 1 as their deadline. It would behoove you to have your Step 2 done and in your file before then (there are a couple of places with an October 15 deadline).

There is an ERAS deadline, an NRMP deadline and an individual program deadline. These are all different.