How long should content review phase be? when should i start uworld and practice exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supastudier2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy! I am currently going through kaplan review books for biology and biochem, and Im going through Premed95's Psych and Soc deck and the 300 page doc!

I never took the second semester of general chem (got an A in orgo tho) and the second semester of physics. Would the kaplan books suffice for these two subjects? any resources you guys and gals recommend?

I want to test in august! When would i start Uworld and practice exams?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Second semester of general chemistry is extremely dissimilar from orgo, as is second semester of physics from first semester.

Reactions: 1 user
interesting. are you planning on taking them soon? As the person above notes, chem and phys 2 is not just 'more applied chem and phys', they often deal with very different topics altogether.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

interesting. are you planning on taking them soon? As the person above notes, chem and phys 2 is not just 'more applied chem and phys', they often deal with very different topics altogether.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I have credit for the second semester of gen chem from AP chemistry in highschool that i earned in 12th grade. I took AP physics that gave me college credit in 10th grade of highschool

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar to you, I never took general chemistry or general physics, since I had AP credits. I didn’t really find reviewing gen chem hard for the MCAT, but reviewing physics took more time and effort than I expected. I think Kaplan book will suffice for gen chem, but you should definitely supplement physics with khan academy videos. Most importantly, you need to do a lot of practice problems, so get started on uworld as soon as you’re done going through Kaplan and KA. Good luck!

Similar to you, I never took general chemistry or general physics, since I had AP credits. I didn’t really find reviewing gen chem hard for the MCAT, but reviewing physics took more time and effort than I expected. I think Kaplan book will suffice for gen chem, but you should definitely supplement physics with khan academy videos. Most importantly, you need to do a lot of practice problems, so get started on uworld as soon as you’re done going through Kaplan and KA. Good luck!
Thanks, Good luck to you too!!!

I agree with the comments above, especially with physics 2. I had no questions from physics 1 on my exam, but probably 25% of my C/P was from physics 2. Are you comfortable with electricity and magnetism? KA is definitely a good source to review it if you have learned it but are a little rusty.

edit: to answer the last part of the OP, save UWorld and your FLs until the end. I would recommend going through all the other AAMC questions during content review and then again in the last month before you take the test (at least the SB and CARS qpacks).