How long to decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoffa24

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my official letter from Arizona and they only gave me till December 15th to decide. Penn gave me till January 15th... how long did other schools give you to make a decision? I still haven't heard from all of my schools how can I tell them in 2 weeks?

Note: I apologize to everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance yet, I know this might sound insensitive. This is a big decision and it would be nice to have a little more time to make it.

Members don't see this ad.

how much is the deposit? if it's not your top choice, it might be worth it to just lay out the money in case your top choice does accept you.

i have a feeling i will be doing that for stony brook - my other interview are mid-december on, so who knows when i'll hear the final word from them....

Hoffa24 said:
I just got my official letter from Arizona and they only gave me till December 15th to decide. Penn gave me till January 15th... how long did other schools give you to make a decision? I still haven't heard from all of my schools how can I tell them in 2 weeks?

Note: I apologies to everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance yet, I know this might sound insensitive. This is a big decision and it would be nice to have a little more time to make it.

What school are you waiting for? I've heard of people putting down their deposit even though they havn't heard from their first choice and just taking the loss when they get into the school they want. That $1000 won't be much in the long run.

And to answer your question, UOP gave until Jan 15 which seems to be the standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoffa24 said:

Note: I apologies to everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance yet, I know this might sound insensitive. This is a big decision and it would be nice to have a little more time to make it.

I have the same prb myself now that I finally got the official letter from AZ. I read the letter carefully and it did say that if we really need a bit more time to decide then we can call the school and let them know. I'm sure they will be understanding since it is a very important decision that will affect the rest of our career.

I know that giving up a $1000 deposit in the long run is not a big deal. It really isn't the issue, I really like Arizona and I would feel bad telling them that I was coming, then going back on it. They have treated me well and I would like to return the favor.

Where I ultimately go is going to be a decision made by my fiancé and myself. I figured that we would have time so that I could take her to see the schools once I got in, but now that will not be possible. I was counting on the 6 weeks to be able to go back east and visit schools, even if I were to hear now, it wouldn’t be possible to visit and make a decision by December 15th.

I'm very confused about this because school ALWAYS give their students until January 15 to decide.

I'll try to speak to somebody today about this, but my suggestion is that you call AZ and tell them that you need until January 15 like all the other schools have given you.

Hoffa24 said:

Note: I apologize to everyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance yet, I know this might sound insensitive. This is a big decision and it would be nice to have a little more time to make it.
Sounds kinda like a typo to me; maybe someone putting "December" instead of "January" into the letter. If not, then it sure is weird.

ItsGavinC said:
I'm very confused about this because school ALWAYS give their students until January 15 to decide.

I'll try to speak to somebody today about this, but my suggestion is that you call AZ and tell them that you need until January 15 like all the other schools have given you.

Thanks for speaking up for us Gavin ! I, myself, need a bit of time to decide and want to run this decision with my family before committing to any school.

Both UNC and Louisville are Jan 15...I thought all schools were...

Tufts is giving until Jan. 7.... wish it was a bit longer though.

I'm in the same boat. I love AZ and respect the faculty and students too much to say that I am going to go there and then back out. However, I have nonrefundable airline tickets to Dec and early Jan interviews. I know I have a great opportunity with AZ, yet I would like to see other schools so that I am making an informed, intelligent decision. Also, I would like time to discuss my options with my family. Gavin, thanks for talking to the faculty on our behalf and please let us know what they say.....maybe you already did...does the "they are" two posts up mean that they are giving us until the 15th of January?