How long to hear back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overachiever2.0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a couple forums posted about how long it takes to hear back from specific schools, but I was wondering more for just in general. I am applying a soon as possible this july (the new session begins July 1st); i have already been building up my information In ptcas (only the sections that will transfer over with the new session). I also already have reliable references set up that i work with multiple times a week, so their will be no putting thos off because they wont be able to get rid of me ;) so getting those completed in ina timely manmer should not be an issue. If I get my application sent in by mid to the end of July, how long will it be before I hear back from any of the schools I apply to?

P.s. sorry if this is a repeat post.. I really did try to see if there was a similar one up already

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the schools. Rolling admissions will reach out to you "as soon as", more traditional you won't hear back until December-January when they start scheduling interviews.

Totally depends on the school, they all have a slightly different process. So unfortunately there is no general answer we can give you. The best thing you can do is call up the admissions office at each school you are applying to and ask them what the timeline of their application cycle is like (assuming this information is not on their website - it probably will be to some extent but you may have to call for specific details).

And as was mentioned somewhat above, there is only an advantage to applying early at schools that use rolling admissions. For your hard deadline schools that don't you may very well not hear a peep for a good 4-5 months if you submit in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
School-specific threads in this forum from previous years will also give you a good idea of when people started hearing back about interviews, acceptances, rejections and wait lists

Some schools have an admission timeline on their school's website. I know UCSF and Samuel Merritt posted one.