How long to study for Step 1 of USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lj1230

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering on average how long people study for USMLE step 1. I am a MS 1 and will be taking the exam during the break before year II and III. We have to pass to be able to continue to year III. The reason I am asking this is that we have about a 6 break between the 2 years and I was planning to get married. However, the counselor at school suggested at least 4 weeks of heavy studying, which would put the exam a few days before our wedding... which may make me one stressed out bride.
Any suggestions....thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, lord. I would not suggest taking the boards just a few days before your wedding if there is any other way. Speaking as a recent bride (just got married this summer) it was stressful enough for me to only have two weeks between the end of classes/finals and the wedding. There are a lot of little last-minute things that have to be done those last few weeks that can't really be done beforehand, and the last few weeks before the wedding can be pretty stressful on their own without anything else going on. I thought it was bad enough to have to study for and take my neuroanatomy final with my wedding only two weeks away and a ton of other things to do (we were moving, too, during this time). I can't imagine adding on the stress of studying for and taking your boards, with only a few days between your boards and the wedding. I'm really not trying to be discouraging, but is there any other way you can schedule it? I just think you're headed for a nervous breakdown...the final period before the wedding is way more stressful than you realize (I didn't think it would be that bad either until I actually experienced it, I was thisclose to a nervous breakdown the last six weeks or so between juggling med school and dealing with the wedding and having to move all at the same time). You're going to be distracted leading up to the wedding too, more so the closer it gets, and might find it very hard to concentrate on studying. Maybe you're a stronger person than I am...but I'd say my second semester MS1 the wedding, etc. got 80% of my time and energy and school got maybe 20%. How you do on the boards is really important and you don't want to compromise your performance because you're too distracted (which is a totally natural way to feel right before your wedding). IF you have no other options, and IF you have a very supportive fiance and family, who can take care of almost all the wedding stuff for you, it may be do-able. Someone else will have to take over most of the wedding stuff, though; can your mom, your fiance, or his mom do that? I think the best solution would be to move your wedding forward a week or two if you haven't put down any non-refundable deposits. It would be much easier on you to have at least a week or two between the boards and the wedding. But, if that's not possible, then you'll do what you have to do and you'll make it work. We med students are experts in doing that. It also depends on what type of wedding you're having...ours was a formal, traditional wedding with about 100 guests and we were also planning from out of town, so lots of traveling back and forth between where we live and where we were having the wedding. If you're having an informal ceremony in the park followed by a backyard barbeque for 40 people, it may be much easier to do. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks for all the info. The thing is that I thought that we would start school later in July in 2006, however they bumped us up a bit, so now the boards are right before the wedding. I talked to my counselor and she said that they don't reccomend any less then 4 weeks of studying, which is right up until the week of the wedding. And that is if I don't get any break from finals. I am already stressing about it, however next summer may not be good since my fiance would just be graduating from college. So money would be tight. Not sure. What type of last minute things did you have to do? if you don't mind me asking, I am new to this and not sure what to expect. Thanks again!!!!

If you keep up with your second year material and don't just "learn for each upcoming course exam", you could even spend just a week studying after you finish second year and still do well on the step 1. All you have to do is keep consolidating what you learn.