USMLE How long to study for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreo.crumble

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take people from a non-American med school (MBBS programme) to study for Step I? I am currently in Year 1 of a 5 year programme, however, I will not finish my basic clinical sciences until 2.5 years into my program. Additionally, I realized for summer breaks I will only get 4 weeks off starting in Year 2. Is there anything I can do now to prepare for the USMLEs? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I would recommend focusing on passing classes first. I'd purchase a copy of First Aid and read it 30 min / day focusing on whatever topic you are learning in class. This will help familiarize you with the First Aid book and will key you in on high yield facts that may show up on your class tests. 4-6 months before Step 1 exam, consider purchasing UWorld (the most popular question bank for board prep testing.)

Here is a link to my blog if you're interested in other popular resources for individual medical school classes and proven study techniques: Study Tips for USMLE Step 1

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I would recommend focusing on passing classes first. I'd purchase a copy of First Aid and read it 30 min / day focusing on whatever topic you are learning in class. This will help familiarize you with the First Aid book and will key you in on high yield facts that may show up on your class tests. 4-6 months before Step 1 exam, consider purchasing UWorld (the most popular question bank for board prep testing.)

Here is a link to my blog if you're interested in other popular resources for individual medical school classes and proven study techniques: Study Tips for USMLE Step 1

Dude, he is not in USA. Medical schools and programs are vastly different abroad. They don't have FA and not going to get HY facts from it lol. Hint: it even might be in different language. Have you even read what OP posted or you are just in blind promoting your own blog mode and copy pasting template answers?

Dude, he is not in USA. Medical schools and programs are vastly different abroad. They don't have FA and not going to get HY facts from it lol. Hint: it even might be in different language. Have you even read what OP posted or you are just in blind promoting your own blog mode and copy pasting template answers?

Hello, I read what he posted and gave him legit advice. If you read his post you will note that he referenced he will be preparing for USMLE. If he is planning to practice in the United States he will need to pass the Step exams. First Aid is one of the best resources for Step 1 and can be shipped to most countries around the world.