• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

How long to study???

DoubleOSevenn

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
I keep hearing about people pushing their date back. I have friends who were planning on studying for the next month but are already so scared that they are pushing their dates back by a couple weeks as well. I have done some half assed studying and now i've got about a month left to get into gear. I'm hoping that is enough time. Is 5 weeks enough??

Roy7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2004
Washington DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Everyones probably gonna flame me for saying so, but it's really a personal decision. No one studies like you but you. Only you can decide how much you can retain efficiently in however long you have to prepare.

Personally, I can never retain information conceptually for long periods of time w/out hitting it over and over again. So I'm going to take as long as my school allows (which is June 19th - damn them!).

But, some of my classmates feel that they can cram a ton of info into their heads in a short period of time, and it'll be there just as fresh for exactly 4 weeks - right after which everything floats away. Thus, they're taking exactly 4 weeks for their test (or however long the kaplan program is).

Think about what you've done to help you do well in lecture (study schedule wise)- apply those same principles to board review, and hope for the best. Anyone saying "any longer than 4 weeks is too much", doesnt know you, and is just saying that because he's doing/did that. Likewise, anyone saying "take it as late as possible" doesnt know your mental atrophy rate, and probably did/is doing that too. G'luck.

mudphudwannabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
That's more than enough time. 4 weeks is what people at my school are generally taking. I think I'm going to do 3 weeks after classes end, simply because I don't think I have the stamina to really study for 4 weeks straight. Sure, I could "study" for 6 weeks or longer..but it wouldn't be good, quality study time. I also have to start a clinical rotation on June 18, and I'd like to take some time to relax before that bomb drops. :D It's a matter of knowing yourself and your limits -- I think if you can really plan out your study time and stick with it, you'll be fine!

shivasHeroLike

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Everyones probably gonna flame me for saying so, but it's really a personal decision. No one studies like you but you. Only you can decide how much you can retain efficiently in however long you have to prepare.

Personally, I can never retain information conceptually for long periods of time w/out hitting it over and over again. So I'm going to take as long as my school allows (which is June 19th - damn them!).

But, some of my classmates feel that they can cram a ton of info into their heads in a short period of time, and it'll be there just as fresh for exactly 4 weeks - right after which everything floats away. Thus, they're taking exactly 4 weeks for their test (or however long the kaplan program is).

Think about what you've done to help you do well in lecture (study schedule wise)- apply those same principles to board review, and hope for the best. Anyone saying "any longer than 4 weeks is too much", doesnt know you, and is just saying that because he's doing/did that. Likewise, anyone saying "take it as late as possible" doesnt know your mental atrophy rate, and probably did/is doing that too. G'luck.

great advice.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.