1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

How long to study???

Discussion in 'Step I' started by DoubleOSevenn, Feb 21, 2007.

1. DoubleOSevenn

2+ Year Member

I keep hearing about people pushing their date back. I have friends who were planning on studying for the next month but are already so scared that they are pushing their dates back by a couple weeks as well. I have done some half assed studying and now i've got about a month left to get into gear. I'm hoping that is enough time. Is 5 weeks enough??

2. Roy7

Roy7 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Everyones probably gonna flame me for saying so, but it's really a personal decision. No one studies like you but you. Only you can decide how much you can retain efficiently in however long you have to prepare.

Personally, I can never retain information conceptually for long periods of time w/out hitting it over and over again. So I'm going to take as long as my school allows (which is June 19th - damn them!).

But, some of my classmates feel that they can cram a ton of info into their heads in a short period of time, and it'll be there just as fresh for exactly 4 weeks - right after which everything floats away. Thus, they're taking exactly 4 weeks for their test (or however long the kaplan program is).

Think about what you've done to help you do well in lecture (study schedule wise)- apply those same principles to board review, and hope for the best. Anyone saying "any longer than 4 weeks is too much", doesnt know you, and is just saying that because he's doing/did that. Likewise, anyone saying "take it as late as possible" doesnt know your mental atrophy rate, and probably did/is doing that too. G'luck.

3. mudphudwannabe

mudphudwannabe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    That's more than enough time. 4 weeks is what people at my school are generally taking. I think I'm going to do 3 weeks after classes end, simply because I don't think I have the stamina to really study for 4 weeks straight. Sure, I could "study" for 6 weeks or longer..but it wouldn't be good, quality study time. I also have to start a clinical rotation on June 18, and I'd like to take some time to relax before that bomb drops. :D It's a matter of knowing yourself and your limits -- I think if you can really plan out your study time and stick with it, you'll be fine!

4. shivasHeroLike

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    great advice.