How long until Diagnostic Radiology is obsoleted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quazar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A: When Merriam adds obsoleted to the dictionary.

Oh, before I forget:

troll.jpg

I'm looking for reasons why Diagnostic Radiology still exists.

This is your first post?
I'm wondering why your account still exists. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Give me one reason why you shouldn't be 'obsoleted' for trolling--

GO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on, is this thread even real??:confused:
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous trolling events en SDN. Hahaha what a troll. Hans I agree 100% with you.:laugh:

It's amazing how there's so much Hate for each other in the medical world

Sorry. I'm new. I should have posted this in the Med Business forum.

Sorry. I'm new. I should have posted this in the Med Business forum.

Please do. And check out the stock trends of let's say Nighthawk. One of the bigger telerad companies.

Last edited:
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:NHWK and http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:VRAD stock trends would seem to support my point. Seeing as how their stocks are underperforming, the shareholders should be looking at anything they can do to maximize shareholder value. If that means having to go through some legal battles and incur some short term losses in order to eliminate the middle man for a larger long term gain then why wouldn't they do it? Not only that, they could argue that the overworked rad is more likely to make a diagnostic mistake and thus "save lives" by using an accurate and automated solution.

You gotta try a little harder to piss people off if you're going to be a decent troll. Come on.

I'm looking for reasons why Diagnostic Radiology still exists. I'm not trying to be too cynical, but with the investment in all the infrastructure for teleradiology it should be easy for some radiologist / corporation out there to just use an neural network based automated diagnosis system and just hit the "Diagnose" button and have a radiologist sign off on the slide and make a ton of money and drive competing rads out of business. I

Easy. None of these things work worth a cr@p. Yes, once you have looked at everything and made sure there is no tumor, adenopathy etc etc etc you can select the most representative slice of a tumor or interstitial lung dz and the algorithm will run and spit out its best guess, which may be useful sometimes but the majority of the work of interpreting the study has already been done. In general these systems only apply to a small fraction of studies. Note also how in all cases the neural net is a second reader for the radiologist.

In nodule ddetection on CTCHEST and on mammo, CAD may help as a second look, but that's as far as the technology goes right now.

So we look forward to your diagnose button. That button would be just as helpful and probably asier in the clinical specialties (enter symptoms, press button, machine orders labs and imaging)

Radiology will become "obsoleted" in June, 2015...right when I finish my radiology residency! :laugh:

Please do. And check out the stock trends of let's say Nighthawk. One of the bigger telerad companies.

yes. nighthawk stock is down. true it's lower than its initial offering. but my young friend, pfizer is also 'crashing'. so is merck. so is aetna. and so is pepsi. and so is coke. so is goldman sachs.

does that mean carbonated beverages are going to be obsolete? or consumer goods? or pharmaceuticals? the plural of anecdote isn't anecdata.

once you take your mcats and are in medical school, make sure you talk to business oriented people along the way who look at objective data. sure medicine is becoming a business. sure it's not impervious to market trends. but it's good for now. and by the way,

Troll's%20Brain%20and%20memory.gif

you're a troll. go watch some more jim cramer.

Last edited: