How many 4th year ortho rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bones Bones Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many ortho rotations (including my home program) should I shoot for during 4th year if I'm an average applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

It's to the point where the majority are doing home+3 aways. This is a beat down, though and the last one will be after submitting eras, so it's basically a rotation to get an interview. If you have 3 places you really want to try out, it's fine, but I don't think you're at a big disadvantage by doing 2 aways.

It's to the point where the majority are doing home+3 aways. This is a beat down, though and the last one will be after submitting eras, so it's basically a rotation to get an interview. If you have 3 places you really want to try out, it's fine, but I don't think you're at a big disadvantage by doing 2 aways.

Thanks for your response! My school's 4th year curriculum begins in July, so I'm planning on doing my home rotation first. If I do home + 3 aways in the order listed below, I'll probably only have 2 letters (1 home + 1 away) on time for ERAS. I'll also have a couple of ortho letters from 3rd year as well. I'm kinda torn because even if the 3rd away only really helps at that one program, it still seems like it's worth it given how competitive things are these days...although kinda expensive for a single interview haha.

July: Home rotation
August: Away 1
September: Away 2
October: Away 3

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response! My school's 4th year curriculum begins in July, so I'm planning on doing my home rotation first. If I do home + 3 aways in the order listed below, I'll probably only have 2 letters (1 home + 1 away) on time for ERAS. I'll also have a couple of ortho letters from 3rd year as well. I'm kinda torn because even if the 3rd away only really helps at that one program, it still seems like it's worth it given how competitive things are these days...although kinda expensive for a single interview haha.

July: Home rotation
August: Away 1
September: Away 2
October: Away 3
You can still get a letter from Away 2, provided you work with someone early on that you'd request it from. Even though eras is submitted Sept 15, you can add letters after the fact, and most programs don't require letters in until at least Oct 1. And yeah, if there's a program you really want to go to, and especially if they have a rotator bias, the 3rd away can be worth it.

You can still get a letter from Away 2, provided you work with someone early on that you'd request it from. Even though eras is submitted Sept 15, you can add letters after the fact, and most programs don't require letters in until at least Oct 1. And yeah, if there's a program you really want to go to, and especially if they have a rotator bias, the 3rd away can be worth it.

Ah, got it. Thanks a lot, dude! Really appreciate it.

One last question, promise haha. How do you know which programs have a rotator bias? Do you happen to know some off hand?

One last question, promise haha. How do you know which programs have a rotator bias? Do you happen to know some off hand?
In Texas, UTSW, Scott & White, and UT Houston. Outside of there, I'm not sure, but there is an ortho spreadsheet that has a lot of that information. I can provide the link if you need.

In Texas, UTSW, Scott & White, and UT Houston. Outside of there, I'm not sure, but there is an ortho spreadsheet that has a lot of that information. I can provide the link if you need.

Yeah, it would be great if you could share the link since I'm currently working on mapping out where to apply to for aways. Thanks!